Forum: Ruby on Rails Setting flash notice via javascript?

nextpulse (Guest)
I am using a javascript to redirect to another action. Is there a way
to set the flash [:notice] in the javascript?

So when the javascript redirects, the new action/view picks up the
flash[:notice]?

(I suspect I may have to do something like url?notice=.....)

ideas?

thanks.
Andrew T. (Guest)
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:33 PM, nextpulse
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> thanks.

I don't think there is a way but you can use a parameter like
notice=Flash%20message
and then in the receiving action do

flash.now[:notice] = params[:notice] if params[:notice]

Andrew T.
http://ramblingsonrails.com

Chris B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-14 12:06
I think it would be awkward to call a URL just to add a flash notice to
the site.
Do it in JS only, and "simulate" the flash notice, by showing it using
pure clientside javascript.

Like: document.getElementById("myEmptyFlashNoticeDiv).innerHTML = "my
notice"
nextpulse (Guest)
@Chris: I think you mis-understood me. I am redirecting to another URL
- not to set flash. I would like to keep the context of flash notices
that was set - so the redirected url picks it up.

@ Andrew: thanks - its a similar approach I was thinking of. Thought
there may be a less 'clunky' way.

On May 14, 1:06 am, "Chris B." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Conrad T. (Guest)
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM, nextpulse
wrote:

> wrote:
> > I think it would be awkward to call a URL just to add aflashnotice to
> > the site.
> > Do it in JS only, and "simulate" theflashnotice, by showing it using
> > pure clientside javascript.
> >
> > Like: document.getElementById("myEmptyFlashNoticeDiv).innerHTML = "my
> > notice"
> > --

What's the purpose of the flash notice being transferred/available to
the
other pages?

-Conrad