More interop questions

Hi
I got into a discussion with Roy Osherhove about overriding statics.

I know in C# it can’t be done obviously and as long as I stay in Ruby
you
can. I understand this may seem like straight-forward stuff. Can you
give me
a pointer where I can take stock of what I can and can’t do to CLR
objects
and in which cases ruby things apply?

But when you go back and call it from a C# class it takes the CLR
implementation

public class MyClassWithAStatic{

    public string HelloWorld(){
        return "Hello World!";
    }

    public static string GoodByeWorld(){
        return "Goodbye world!";

public class StaticCaller{

    public string CallsStatic(){
        return MyClassWithAStatic.GoodByeWorld();

console session:
(master) » ir
IronRuby 0.4.0.0 on .NET 2.0.50727.4918

require ‘spec/bin/ClrModels.dll’
=> true
include ClrModels
=> Object
MyClassWithAStatic
=> ClrModels::MyClassWithAStatic
MyClassWithAStatic.good_bye_world
=> ‘Goodbye world!’
sc = StaticCaller.new
=> ClrModels.StaticCaller
sc.calls_static
=> ‘Goodbye world!’
class MyClassWithAStatic
… def self.good_bye_world
… “From Ruby we say goodbye to you”
… end
… end
=> nil
MyClassWithAStatic.good_bye_world
=> “From Ruby we say goodbye to you”
sc = StaticCaller.new
=> ClrModels.StaticCaller
sc.calls_static
=> ‘Goodbye world!’

New session to figure out if something could be done before the type was
actually created

  • C:\dev\caricature
    (master) » ir
    IronRuby 0.4.0.0 on .NET 2.0.50727.4918

require ‘spec/bin/ClrModels.dll’
=> true
class MyClassWithAStatic
… def self.good_bye_world
… “From Ruby we say goodbye to you”
… end
… end
=> nil
ClrModels::StaticCaller.new.calls_static
=> ‘Goodbye world!’

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

Don Marquis
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/d/don_marquis.html

  • “Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.”

I know these sound like pretty basic questions… but I’m playing devil’s
advocate here (maybe rubyist advocate is better suited) and I imagine I
will
need a good chunk in a chapter somewhere to explain this stuff really
clearly.

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

It’s pretty simple: your can define a Ruby method on any
class/interface. The method will only be visible from Ruby unless the
class is a Ruby dynamic object (implements IDynamicObjectProvider using
Ruby binders). For such dynamic objects Ruby methods will be available
when invoked from dynamic expression in C# 4.0. The methods are also
invokable via ObjectOperations class in Hosting API.

Tomas

I know these sound like pretty basic questions… but I’m playing devil’s
advocate here (maybe rubyist advocate is better suited) and I imagine I
will need a good chunk in a chapter somewhere to explain this stuff
really clearly.

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Ivan Porto C.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
[...]

For the devil’s advocate position Ivan was arguing for, you could argue
that IronRuby should only allow adding new members to CLR types, not
to edit or delete existing CLR members. The added members would be
visible only from Ruby. From C#, you will get compiler errors anyway if
you try to call these added members (unless you use “dynamic” in C#
4.0), and so having two different views of the CLR type is OK here since
there is no scope for confusion.

This would be somewhat similar to the way C# extension methods work –
the real methods of the type get precedence, and extension methods
(comparable to monkey-patched Ruby methods) get lower precedence during
overload resolution.

Building a special mocking framework for IronRuby does not change the
basic fact that CLR types are unmodifiable. A special framework will
work only if the app is all IronRuby code, but it will break when C# is
thrown in the mix.

The current plan is to allow monkey-patching of CLR members on CLR
types. It does give power but has some unpredictability as well.
Feedback and real-world experience is welcome about whether this is the
right thing or not.