Forum: Ruby on Rails Using adobe contribute on a rails project

Sergio T. R. (Guest)
on 2009-05-13 17:36
we are currently trying to allow one of our clients to access and edit
some html files on their site via adobe's contribute.

the files live in the public directory of the rails site, and it seems
like there is a problem with contribute connecting to the site. it
looks like contribute is attempting to find a direct http connection
to the file as in:

http://www.domain.com/filename.txt

it seems to want to find the file at the root of the site, but on a
rails site, the files lives at:

site/public/filename.txt

i can't think of any other problem the connection  might be having..

anyone have any ideas?
Colin L. (Guest)
If the url of the root of your rails app is www.domain.com then
www.domain.com/filename.txt will look in the /public directory.  Try
accessing a file there from your browser to check this is working.
Colin

2009/5/13 Sergio R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Colin L. (Guest)
2009/5/13 Colin L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> If the url of the root of your rails app is www.domain.com then
> www.domain.com/filename.txt will look in the /public directory.  Try
> accessing a file there from your browser to check this is working.
> Colin

On the other hand this may only be true when accessing from a browser, I
don't know how adobe contribute expects to read/write to a file.
Colin
Sergio T. R. (Guest)
on 2009-05-13 18:58
unfortunately, none of the files are accessible by the browser.. since
they all live outside the of the area served by apache..

the app is served via apache.. through a proxy..
Colin L. (Guest)
The rails project public folder must be accessible, that is where all
the
js, css files etc live

2009/5/13 Sergio R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Sergio T. R. (Guest)
on 2009-05-13 19:24
Colin L. wrote:
> The rails project public folder must be accessible, that is where all
> the
> js, css files etc live

accessible as in correct permissions?
Colin L. (Guest)
Accessible to the browser via http at the root of the domain for
fetching
javascript css etc. Also the 404.html and 500.html error pages are
normally
there. Also robots.txt etc.  Look in your rails project /public folder
and
you will see what I mean.

All of this may have no relevance to adobe contribute however.