Forum: RSpec Rails HTML error page in the console.

Matt W. (Guest)
I'm still bugged by the fact that when I get an exception during a
feature run (e.g. Couldn't find partial) then what I see in the
console is all the HTML to report that error in a browser.

I have had a few ideas for this bubbling around at the back of my
mind. I wondered whether anyone else was thinking about this too.

I guess the idea would be to patch rails's
ActionController#rescue_action_locally with something that threw the
exception out at Cucumber rather than bubbling it up to the web. What
do you think? Would it work? What are the drawbacks I haven't thought
of?

cheers,
Matt W.
http://beta.songkick.com
http://blog.mattwynne.net
Ben L. (Guest)
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Matt W.

> think? Would it work? What are the drawbacks I haven't thought of?
>
> cheers,
> Matt W.
> http://beta.songkick.com
> http://blog.mattwynne.net

This is definitely something that irks me regularly too. If the HTML
displayed were more focused to the actual section that was under
inspection
that would be hella nice. Although, I realise this would be pretty
difficult
to achieve. That said, there certainly are times when you _need_ to see
the
whole HTML.

Ben L
Ben M. (Guest)
Matt W. wrote:
> do you think? Would it work? What are the drawbacks I haven't thought of?
>
> cheers,
> Matt W.
> http://beta.songkick.com
> http://blog.mattwynne.net

Have you tried catching the error in an After block and opening up the
page?  Aslak added that functionality:

https://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211/tic...

-Ben
Matt W. (Guest)
On 13 May 2009, at 11:40, Ben L. wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Matt W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> > wrote:
> This is definitely something that irks me regularly too. If the HTML
> displayed were more focused to the actual section that was under
> inspection that would be hella nice. Although, I realise this would
> be pretty difficult to achieve. That said, there certainly are times
> when you _need_ to see the whole HTML.
>
> Ben L

I think we're talking about different things actually. Do you know
about the #within method in webrat?

Matt W.
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com
Matt W. (Guest)
On 13 May 2009, at 16:13, Ben M. wrote:

>> the exception out at Cucumber rather than bubbling it up to the
> the page?  Aslak added that functionality:
>
> https://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211/tic...
>
> -Ben

I think I've actually realised this must be happening because we're
using an old version of webrat - I've just set up a fresh rails app
with shiny new cucumber and webrat version and it reports just the
exception backtrace in the console, rather than the whole HTML error
page.

That hook is handy though, thanks for the tip Ben.

Matt W.
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com