Forum: Ruby Beginner help/direction

michael engel (Guest)
I just finished reading Chris P.'s "Learn to program" with ruby, and
am
wondering if you wonderful folks could point me in the right direction
continue my education. The book is fairly basic, and I need more
exposure to
ruby. I have the "pickaxe" book, but if anyone could offer any help or
ideas, it would be much appreciated.
P.S. I hope this isn't off topic ;)
Tom C. (Guest)
michael engel wrote:
> I just finished reading Chris P.'s "Learn to program" with ruby, and am
> wondering if you wonderful folks could point me in the right direction to
> continue my education. The book is fairly basic, and I need more exposure to
> ruby. I have the "pickaxe" book, but if anyone could offer any help or
> ideas, it would be much appreciated.
> P.S. I hope this isn't off topic ;)

Well, as a perpetual beginner, and someone with never enough time, I
fall back on just-in-time learning (and this list!). With Thomas' fine
book (3rd ed., I presume), all you need is a serious project -
preferably some program you could really USE (thus supplying you with
plentiful motivation). Then start facing the problems and writing code.
Believe me, you'll learn a lot, but not stuff you don't need and won't
likely use.

Also, become friends with the ruby-debug gem (but it doesn't yet work in
ruby1.9 - grrrr.)

Just my small thoughts, but that's how I work.

t.

Tom C., MS MA, LMHC - Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< removed_email_address@domain.invalid >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)
Andriy H. (Guest)
on 2009-05-13 05:40
"The Ruby P.ming Language" by David Flanagan, Yukihiro M. is
probably the best Ruby book I've read (and I've read quite a lot of them
:)). It has both basic and advanced staff in it.

Andriy
Robert K. (Guest)
2009/5/13 Andriy H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> "The Ruby P.ming Language" by David Flanagan, Yukihiro M. is
> probably the best Ruby book I've read (and I've read quite a lot of them
> :)). It has both basic and advanced staff in it.

And then there's of course David's new book:
http://manning.com/black2/

Cheers

robert
Daniel R. (Guest)
michael engel wrote:
> I just finished reading Chris P.'s "Learn to program" with ruby, and am
> wondering if you wonderful folks could point me in the right direction to
> continue my education. The book is fairly basic, and I need more exposure to
> ruby. I have the "pickaxe" book, but if anyone could offer any help or
> ideas, it would be much appreciated.
> P.S. I hope this isn't off topic ;)

I also recommend "The Ruby P.ming Language", it's the best book
I've read about Ruby, "Matz", Yukihiro M. writes in it. In my
case it was the perfect _second_ book for learning Ruby, because it
answered many questions that as a beginner i would never had thought of.

You could read "Programming Ruby" first, which could give you a solid
base in the language, as i did, and then grab "The Ruby P.ming
Language".