Forum: Ruby on Rails trouble linking models

Sean S. (Guest)
on 2009-05-11 15:55
Class User < ActiveRecord::Base
 has_many :articles

class Article < ActiveRecord::Base
 belongs_to :user

After a user posts an article, I want to include their username.  I
presume I should just be able to use <%= article.user.screen_name  %> in
the articles/index.
This give me:

The error occurred while evaluating nil.screen_name
Tom Z Meinlschmidt (Guest)
Sean,
did you check your database? Is user_id filled up correctly?

tom

Sean S. wrote:

> The error occurred while evaluating nil.screen_name

I know this doesn't help the core problem, but it might help in
debugging to set that column to 'NOT NULL' in your database, and set a
default value.
Sean S. (Guest)
on 2009-05-17 15:17
I can get <%= article.user_id %> to print the id number of the user.
But when I try to use <%= article.user.screen_name %> I get the error:

The error occurred while evaluating nil.screen_name
Colin L. (Guest)
Could this mean that the user_id field in the article table is filled in
but
there is no user with that id?  Have a look in the database.  I would
have
thought this might produce a different error though.

If the db is ok use the ruby debugger to break at that point and see
what
the variables are set to.

Colin