Forum: Ruby on Rails What´s the easier way to implement a full te xt search in my app

flaubert (Guest)
Plugin? what?
Manually? How? (Soma links please)
Frederick C. (Guest)
On May 9, 3:21 pm, flaubert <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Plugin? what?
> Manually? How? (Soma links please)

Assuming you are using mysql the easiest way is probably mysql's
fulltext search (because you don't need to worry about running
indexing tools, having a search daemon running etc.)

Fred
Frederick C. (Guest)
On May 9, 4:20 pm, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> On May 9, 3:21 pm, flaubert <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Plugin? what?
> > Manually? How? (Soma links please)
>
> Assuming you are using mysql the easiest way is probably mysql's
> fulltext search (because you don't need to worry about running
> indexing tools, having a search daemon running etc.)

should add that this lacks some of the sophistication of other
solutions and that the reason I stopped using it on one app was
because it was getting pretty sluggish with a couple of hundred
thousand documents.

Fred
WJSimacek (Guest)
On May 9, 10:40 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> On May 9, 4:20 pm, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:> On May 9, 3:21 pm, flaubert <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> > > Plugin? what?

In Nick Plante and David Berube's book "Practical Rails Plugins"
Chapter 16 talks about implementing the plugin Sphinx to do Full Text
Search.