Forum: GNU Radio Software troubes - gr_vmcircbuf ...?

wallen (Guest)
I've been trying to get Gnuradio running with my USRP2, and am still
having some troubles.  My computer is an older Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop
running Debian (Lenny).  I've installed a D-Link DGE-660TD Gigabit
Cardbus adapter, and have compiled what I believe is the most recent
release of the code per the instructions in the README file.

I can find the USRP2 by running the find_usrps command, but oddly enough
this occasionally segfaults.  So far what looks like the most intriguing
error message I got when trying to run usrp2_fft.py.  This looks like:

   usrp2_fft.py
   usrp2: failed to enable realtime scheduling
   gr_vmcircbuf_createfilemapping: createfilemapping is not available
   usrp2: channel 0 not receiving
   usrp2::rx_samples() failed

Does this provide any clues to those of you more familiar with the
software?

I've tried flashing the firmware, and that didn't change anything.  I've
also tried swapping out my USRP2 with a box running on a different
machine seems to work, so this seems likely to be a software problem.

Any ideas what could be going on here?

- Wayde
Eric B. (Guest)
On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 02:04:59PM -0600, wallen wrote:
>    usrp2_fft.py
>    usrp2: failed to enable realtime scheduling

Edit /etc/security/limits.conf and add this line:

@usrp  - rtprio 50

then logout and back in.

>    gr_vmcircbuf_createfilemapping: createfilemapping is not available

This is a little odd.  Does it pass "make check"?

>    usrp2: channel 0 not receiving
>    usrp2::rx_samples() failed
>
> Does this provide any clues to those of you more familiar with the
> software?

Does it pass "make check"?

> I've tried flashing the firmware, and that didn't change anything.  I've
> also tried swapping out my USRP2 with a box running on a different
> machine seems to work, so this seems likely to be a software problem.
>
> Any ideas what could be going on here?
>
> - Wayde

Eric
wallen (Guest)
On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 18:32 -0700, Eric B. wrote:

> >    usrp2_fft.py
> >    usrp2: failed to enable realtime scheduling
>
> Edit /etc/security/limits.conf and add this line:
>
> @usrp  - rtprio 50
>
> then logout and back in.

OK, I'll give that a try shortly.

> Does it pass "make check"?
Yes, it seems to.  Didn't get anything that sad it failed.

- Wayde
wallen (Guest)
On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 18:32 -0700, Eric B. wrote:

> >    usrp2_fft.py
> >    usrp2: failed to enable realtime scheduling
>
> Edit /etc/security/limits.conf and add this line:
>
> @usrp  - rtprio 50
>
> then logout and back in.

Well ... that doesn't seem to change anything.  I still get the same
error if I try running as a regular user.  Running as root gives me
different errors.  Running this as root after trying as a regular user I
got:

    ./usrp2_fft.py
   Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "./usrp2_fft.py", line 273, in <module>
       main ()
     File "./usrp2_fft.py", line 269, in main
       app = stdgui2.stdapp(app_top_block, "USRP2 FFT", nstatus=1)
     File
   "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/stdgui2.py",
line
   36, in __init__
       wx.App.__init__ (self, redirect=False)
     File
   "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",
line
   7836, in __init__
       self._BootstrapApp()
     File
   "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",
line
   7433, in _BootstrapApp
       return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
     File
   "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/stdgui2.py",
line
   39, in OnInit
       frame = stdframe (self.top_block_maker, self.title,
self._nstatus)
     File
   "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/stdgui2.py",
line
   60, in __init__
       self.panel = stdpanel (self, self, top_block_maker)
     File
   "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/wxgui/stdgui2.py",
line
   81, in __init__
       self.top_block = top_block_maker (frame, self, vbox, sys.argv)
     File "./usrp2_fft.py", line 70, in __init__
       self.u = usrp2.source_32fc(options.interface, options.mac_addr)
     File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp2.py",
line
   621, in source_32fc
       return _usrp2.source_32fc(*args, **kwargs)
   RuntimeError: Unable to retrieve daughterboard info

Trying to run again as root I get:

    ./usrp2_fft.py
   usrp2: channel 0 not receiving
   usrp2::rx_samples() failed

Not quite sure where to look to resolve what is going on here.

- Wayde
Eric B. (Guest)
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:51:47AM -0600, wallen wrote:
> > > error message I got when trying to run usrp2_fft.py.  This looks like:
> Well ... that doesn't seem to change anything.  I still get the same
>      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp2.py",
> line
>    621, in source_32fc
>        return _usrp2.source_32fc(*args, **kwargs)
>    RuntimeError: Unable to retrieve daughterboard info

This error makes me think that you don't have the current firmware and
fpga images installed on the SD Card.

You can download them here:

  http://gnuradio.org/releases/usrp2-bin/trunk/txrx_...
  http://gnuradio.org/releases/usrp2-bin/trunk/u2_re...