Forum: Ruby I have 1.9.1, win32-service gem looking for 1.8

Grant B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-07 23:16
I have 1.9.1 installed (from zip).  My scripts use the win32-service
gem, so installed it with:

> gem install win32-service

This installed the following gems without error:
win32-api (1.4.0)
win32-service (0.6.1)
windows-api (0.3.0)
windows-pr (1.0.3)

When I run the script, I get this in a pop-up dialog:
"This application has failed to start because msvcrt-ruby18.dll was not
found."

And the first line of console error is:
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/windows-api-0.3.0/lib/windows/api.rb:1:in
`require': 126: The specified module could not be found.   -
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/win32-api-1.4.0-x86-mswin32-60/lib/win32/api.so
(LoadError)

I *think* that means that one or more of those gems are compiled against
the older Ruby.

I'm a gems n00b.  Does gems not check for this mismatch of ruby
versions?

How can I get these gems for Ruby 1.9.1?

Thanks for any help.
-Grant
Luis L. (Guest)
On May 7, 4:16 pm, Grant B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I *think* that means that one or more of those gems are compiled against
> the older Ruby.
>
> I'm a gems n00b.  Does gems not check for this mismatch of ruby
> versions?
>
> How can I get these gems for Ruby 1.9.1?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> -Grant

You hit one of the problem with binary gems and the co-existence of
Ruby 1.8 and 1.9. I've exposed the same concern here:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers...

Cleverly enough, Aaron P. just blogged on how to overcome this
issue, at least form the gem developer perspective:

http://tenderlovemaking.com/2009/05/07/fat-binary-...

I'm going to work with him on improve this mechanism so gem developers
can distribute binary gems painlessly at RubyForge.

If someone works on a series of patches for RubyGems, that can help
too ;-)

Regards,
Grant B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-08 00:30
Luis L. wrote:
> If someone works on a series of patches for RubyGems, that can help
> too ;-)

Thanks, that was informative.

For my immediate needs, does that mean I'm should give up and go back to
1.8 for now?

I don't expect every gem to be rebuilt, but I'm guessing that
mswin32-api and windows-api are pretty crucial to any ruby/Windows work.
I guess I'd expect that someone would have built 1.9.1 versions of these
by now, but Google is not finding any for me.

-Grant
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-05-08 16:47
>> gem install win32-service
>
> This installed the following gems without error:
> win32-api (1.4.0)
> win32-service (0.6.1)
> windows-api (0.3.0)
> windows-pr (1.0.3)

so you installed them using exactly that command?
-=r
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-05-08 17:21
> Luis L. wrote:
>> If someone works on a series of patches for RubyGems, that can help
>> too ;-)

What exactly needs to be done?

> For my immediate needs, does that mean I'm should give up and go back to
> 1.8 for now?

Looks like you'll either have to try and compile them from source
(conceivably possible, if you've installed the devkit [1]) or downgrade.

[1] http://betterlogic.com/roger/?p=1354
Grant B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-08 18:18
Roger P. wrote:
>>> gem install win32-service
>>
>> This installed the following gems without error:
>> win32-api (1.4.0)
>> win32-service (0.6.1)
>> windows-api (0.3.0)
>> windows-pr (1.0.3)
>
> so you installed them using exactly that command?
> -=r

Yep.  I ran "gem --remote list" and I didn't see a 1.9.1 version of the
gems, so I assume there isn't one.

I ended up just downgrading to the newest 1.8 release.  Seems to be
working fine.