Forum: Ruby 1.8.7 doesn't work on Ubuntu

Chad W. (Guest)
Does anyone know how to get around this:

-- Chad
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-05-07 10:37
Chad W. wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get around this:

Make sure to install every package under the sun before installing ruby
from source, perhaps?
-=r
Chad W. (Guest)
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Roger P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Make sure to install every package under the sun before installing ruby
> from source, perhaps?

I've already installed everything that looks likely, the next step
would be to try to install every package with 'ssl' in the name.

BTW, looks like other people have had this issue with no resolution
either:

Also, I tried this after uninstalling the ruby that came with Ubuntu.
Didn't help.  I also reinstalled the Ubuntu built-in ruby ssl package.
 Didn't help.
Yukihiro M. (Guest)

In message "Re: 1.8.7 doesn't work on Ubuntu"
    on Thu, 7 May 2009 16:00:04 +0900, Chad W.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

|Also, I tried this after uninstalling the ruby that came with Ubuntu.
|Didn't help.  I also reinstalled the Ubuntu built-in ruby ssl package.
| Didn't help.

Could you show us exact step to reproduce the problem, with all input
and errors?  In addition, do you set any environment variables
e.g. RUBYOPT or RUBYPATH?

              matz.
Matthew W. (Guest)
On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 13:49 +0900, Chad W. wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get around this:
>
> http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/863
>
> Thanks,
> -- Chad

Did you install libssl-dev?

Most of the time that errors like that occur on Ubuntu they are due to
the dev packages not being installed....

Matt
Chad W. (Guest)
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Yukihiro M.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

Yes!  The patch you put on the ticket does seem to fix it!  Thanks,
Matz...