Forum: JRuby mobile apps?

Tim U. (Guest)
Is it possible to write apps for iphone and android with jruby?

How about symbian or blackberry?
David K. (Guest)
On May 5, 2009, at 3:05 AM, Tim U. wrote:
> Is it possible to write apps for iphone and android with jruby?
>
> How about symbian or blackberry?

There is no JVM for the iPhone.  Android is a possibility and you
should check out Charlie Nutter's blog for posts about his exploration
of getting JRuby running on Android.  Symbian and Blackberry both have
JME implementations I think, so those should be possible as well with
the work Charlie has done to get JRuby running on embedded style
environments.

None of these platforms are supported out of the box right now.

David K.

Rick

Tim U. wrote:
> Is it possible to write apps for iphone and android with jruby?
>
> How about symbian or blackberry?

> This might be what you are looking for http://rhomobile.com/.

I looked at that. It looks very interesting. The problem is that if you
want
to write applications you want to sell you have to pay them royalties of
5%.
The worst part is that they want $5,000.00 up front.  You'd have to sell
hell of a lot of mobile applications at a few dollars a piece (which is
what
they go for these days) in order to add up to five thousand dollars in
royalties .

It sounds like they want to shut out the individual developer and
concentrate on large development shops.
David K. (Guest)
On May 5, 2009, at 7:58 PM, Tim U. wrote:

> It sounds like they want to shut out the individual developer and
> concentrate on large development shops.

It's also a native Ruby implementation, not JRuby.

David K.
Tim U. (Guest)
> It's also a native Ruby implementation, not JRuby.

It's a subset of ruby. The framework resembles rails but it's a very
small
subset of it.

All in all interesting and sounds like a fun way to develop mobile apps
if
you are going to be releasing them under the GPL3 license. If you want
sell your app you have to pony up five grand though.

It's bad enough the stores take 30% of the cut.
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Tim U. wrote:
> royalties of 5%. The worst part is that they want $5,000.00 up front.
> You'd have to sell a hell of a lot of mobile applications at a few
> dollars a piece (which is what they go for these days) in order to add
> up to five thousand dollars in royalties .
>
> It sounds like they want to shut out the individual developer and
> concentrate on large development shops.

I'm very happy to collaborate getting the Android or Java ME JRuby
profiles working well...it just hasn't been a focus because of lack of
resources. It works on both, but need work. Android is more promising at
the moment due to it being a more complete platform and less hacking
required. I also have a JRuby that can run on Java ME's CDC profile, but
it's hacked up pretty heavily.

- Charlie

> I'm very happy to collaborate getting the Android or Java ME JRuby profiles
> working well...it just hasn't been a focus because of lack of resources. It
> works on both, but need work. Android is more promising at the moment due to
> it being a more complete platform and less hacking required. I also have a
> JRuby that can run on Java ME's CDC profile, but it's hacked up pretty
> heavily.

There are only 24 hours in a day Charlie :)

Keep on making jruby more awesome every day.
Phil S. (Guest)
you might find this interesting:
http://rhomobile.com/

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Tim U. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Is it possible to write apps for iphone and android with jruby?
>
> How about symbian or blackberry?

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 7:05 AM, phil swenson

> you might find this interesting:
> http://rhomobile.com/

It is interesting but very expensive if you want to sell your app.  They
want five thousand (US) dollars up front (as a pre-payment for 5%
royalties).  I kind of doubt the application I write is going to make
anywhere near that much money especially considering all the app stores
take
30% for themselves.

I would probably jump on it if they simply wanted 5% without asking for
the
up front money but for me five grand is just not doable.