Forum: Ruby RubyGems 1.3.3

Eric H. (Guest)
= Announce: RubyGems Release 1.3.3

NOTE:  RubyGems 1.1 and 1.2 have problems upgrading when there is no
rubygems-update installed.  You will need to follow the second set of
update
instructions if you see "Nothing to update".

Release 1.3.3 fixes some bugs and adds some features.

New Features:

* `gem server` allows port names (from /etc/services) with --port.
* `gem server` now has search that jumps to RDoc.  Patch #22959 by
Vladimir
   Dobriakov.
* `gem spec` can retrieve single fields from a spec (like `gem spec rake
   authors`).
* Gem::Specification#has_rdoc= is deprecated and ignored (defaults to
true)
* RDoc is now generated regardless of Gem::Specification#has_rdoc?

Bug Fixes:

* `gem clean` now cleans up --user-install gems.  Bug #25516 by Brett
   Eisenberg.
* Gem.bin_path now escapes paths with spaces.
* Rake extension builder uses explicit correctly loads rubygems when
invoking
   rake.
* Prerelease versions now match "~>" correctly.  Patch #25759 by Yossef
   Mendelssohn.
* Check bindir for executables, not root when validating.  Bug
reported by
   David C..
* Remove Time.today, no way to override it before RubyGems loads.  Bug
#25564
   by Emanuele Vicentini
* Raise Gem::Exception for #installation_path when not installed.  Bug
#25741
   by Daniel B..
* Don't raise in Gem::Specification#validate when homepage is nil.
Bug #25677
   by Mike Burrows.
* Uninstall executables from the correct directory.  Bug #25555 by Brett
   Eisenberg.
* Raise Gem::LoadError if Kernel#gem fails due to previously-loaded
gem.  Bug
   reported by Alf Mikula.

Deprecation Notices:

* Gem::manage_gems has been removed.
* Time::today has been removed early.  There was no way to make it
warn and be
   easy to override with user code.

For a full list of changes to RubyGems and the contributor for each
change, see
the ChangeLog file.

== How can I get RubyGems?

NOTE:  If you have installed RubyGems using a package system you may
want to
install a new RubyGems through the same packaging system.

If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
you need to do is:

   $ gem update --system   (you might need to be admin/root)

NOTE:  RubyGems 1.1 and 1.2 have problems upgrading when there is no
rubygems-update installed.  You will need to follow the second set of
update
instructions if you see "Nothing to update".

NOTE: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
installed rubygems-update gems.

If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
do it in two steps:

   $ gem install rubygems-update  (again, might need to be admin/root)
   $ update_rubygems              (... here too)

If you don't have any gems install, there is still the pre-gem
approach to getting software ... doing it manually:

1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
3. INSTALL WITH:  ruby setup.rb  (you may need admin/root privilege)

== To File Bugs

The RubyGems bug tracker can be found on RubyForge at:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=add&group_id=12...

When filing a bug, `gem env` output will be helpful in diagnosing the
issue.

If you find a bug where RubyGems crashes, please provide debug output.
You can
do that with `gem --debug the_command`.

== Thanks

Keep those gems coming!

-- The RubyGems team
James B. (Guest)
Eric H. wrote:
> = Announce: RubyGems Release 1.3.3

Thanks for the great work on RubyGems!

--
James B.

www.neurogami.com            - Smart application development
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-05-08 17:14
> * `gem clean` now cleans up --user-install gems.  Bug #25516 by Brett
>    Eisenberg.
>    $ gem update --system   (you might need to be admin/root)

congrats on a seamless upgrade this system for all my machines.
Thanks!
-=r