Forum: Ruby on Rails moving a project from windows to linux

Adam A. (Guest)
on 2009-05-04 18:04
How easy is it to do this. Is it simply a case of copying the project
directory over to the linux directory or does one have to create a new
project in the linux system and copy paste (due to the wonders of rails
magic)???
tashfeen.ekram (Guest)
Copy and paste does largely work. You just will need to install all of
your gems and reconfigure for the DB you are using.

On May 4, 10:04 am, Adam A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Phlip (Guest)
tashfeen.ekram wrote:

> Copy and paste does largely work. You just will need to install all of
> your gems and reconfigure for the DB you are using.

You might also integrate your code into a version controller (git, svn,
or Brand
X), and then outegrate it on the target machine.

Then, if the tests don't pass, you can fix them on the windows machine,
pass all
tests, integrate, outegrate again, and try again...

--
   Phlip
   http://flea.sourceforge.net/resume.html
On 2009-05-04, Adam A. wrote:
>  How easy is it to do this. Is it simply a case of copying the project
> directory over to the linux directory or does one have to create a new
> project in the linux system and copy paste (due to the wonders of rails
> magic)??? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

There's really nothing special about it. You do have to make sure that
it has access to the appropriate databases, the gems it is dependent
upon are installed, and that the target server has the same version of
Rails (unless you vendor it in vendor/rails).

You might wan tto check out Capistrano for easier deployment, however,
that way it can perform all the necessary steps automatically. I'd
recommend running:

rake gems:install
rake db:create:all
rake db:migrate

That should be sufficient, I think.

--
Brandon
www.perpetualseeker.com

Make sure your environment.rb file is setup to specify the appropriate
Rails version and that you also specify all the gems used by the
application (using config.gem). That way, if your Linux machine is
missing anything, you won't be able to startup a Mongrel/Webrick
server.

On May 4, 7:40 am, "Brandon O." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Sazima (Guest)
Hey Adam,

Copying usually works, but is the dirty solution. I usually create the
whole rails environment in the target machine and then just checkout
the application as usual.

Cheers, Sazima

On May 4, 11:04 am, Adam A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>