Forum: Ruby on Rails How to install downloaded zip/tar.gz plugin ?

Sergio F. (Guest)
on 2009-05-03 07:05
Hello !

 Some time ago , I asked how to make
pagination(http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/185831#new), i have
downloaded this plugin, and I do not want to download this plugin every
time when I want to create new nooby test project.

 My question is just - how to install plugin from tarball ?

Thanks.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On May 3, 4:05 am, Sergio F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Hello !
>
>  Some time ago , I asked how to make
> pagination(http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/185831#new), i have
> downloaded this plugin, and I do not want to download this plugin every
> time when I want to create new nooby test project.
>
>  My question is just - how to install plugin from tarball ?

99% of the time you just need to untar it into vendor/plugins. Some
plugins have an install.rb that you should run.
You may be interested in the templates feature in rails 2.3

Fred
Julian L. (Guest)
What platform? Use gunzip.

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

On 03/05/2009, at 1:05 PM, Sergio F.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Sergio F. (Guest)
on 2009-05-04 13:36
Thanks guys for your replies.

 You are right, restful_authentication plugin I have installed just
copying to vendor/plugin. I know about activescaffold plugin, it is must
be installed with his css, js and other things, and installing this
plugin can't be simple, maybe need run install.rb, but I don't know from
where need run it. Can you give me example ? And maybe how to emulate
git for this ?

system linux.
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-05-04 21:49
Sergio F. wrote:
> Thanks guys for your replies.
[...]
> maybe need run install.rb, but I don't know from
> where need run it.

Copy the plugin to vendor/plugins, then switch to the plugin's directory
and run install.rb .

> Can you give me example ? And maybe how to emulate
> git for this ?

You don't need to emulate git.
Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Sergio F. (Guest)
on 2009-05-06 14:50
Thank you  Marnen,  Frederick and  Julian for replies. I'll try this
soon.