Forum: JRuby An unusual(?) JRuby success story

Adam M. (Guest)
I'm a web developer by trade but my primary interest is in real time
interactive multimedia and computer music composition. I use a
software platform called Max/MSP to do a lot of my stuff. Last year I
released a Ruby scripting add-on for Max built on JRuby.

I've been finding some people are putting it to interesting uses.
Here's a blog post that briefly explains one project for sending
Twitter tweets from inside a Max application using my JRuby add-on:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/04/30/twitter-e...

I'm not entirely sure what sort of uses this will be put to, but
consider a laptop music set that incorporates social networking into
the performance, so perhaps someone tweets and it somehow affects the
song (crowd interaction). Or the performer could tweet some metadata
about the current track being performed.

Follow the "How To Send A Tweet From Max/MSP { sound + tutorial }"
link on that blog article for more technical details or if you want to
try it, but note Max has a steep learning curve, especially if you are
new to music synthesis/sequencing/DSP. Plus it costs a good bit of
money (yes, I know, blasphemy in an open source community, but it
really is an amazing program IMHO and there's something to be said
about combining the benefits of commercial and OSS).

I guess I should also mention this music composition DSL I'm making in
Ruby and intend to deploy with JRuby. One use I'm looking towards is
real time music improvisation in a performance setting for people more
adept at coding then playing an acoustic instrument. You can read more
and play around with it in your browser here:
http://compusition.com/web/software/cosy

I've been really busy and haven't had much time to work on this stuff
in recent months, but I'll be coming back to it soon hopefully.

There's other interesting Ruby/JRuby music projects out there too. If
anyone wants more info, feel free to drop me a line. I guess I should
put a link on the wiki too? Maybe one of these days I'll come to a
conference and present on this stuff, but I want to make things more
mature first.

Cheers,
Adam

> I'm not entirely sure what sort of uses this will be put to, but
> really is an amazing program IMHO and there's something to be said
> in recent months, but I'll be coming back to it soon hopefully.
>
> There's other interesting Ruby/JRuby music projects out there too. If
> anyone wants more info, feel free to drop me a line. I guess I should
> put a link on the wiki too? Maybe one of these days I'll come to a
> conference and present on this stuff, but I want to make things more
> mature first.

As someone who's dabbled in electronic music in the past, I can say
this sounds awesome. I'd love to hear more about it sometime.

Thanks for telling us about it!

/Nick