Forum: Ruby I cannot install gem

Dima K. (Guest)
on 2009-04-30 14:40
Hello dudes!!!!
I cannot install any gems. Running gem begins with "Bulk updating gem
source indes for: http://gems.rubyforge.org" and ends with
Error: while executing gem (Timeout::Error)
execution expired
Is it firewall or something else?
7stud -. (Guest)
on 2009-04-30 14:48
Dima K. wrote:
> Hello dudes!!!!
> I cannot install any gems. Running gem begins with "Bulk updating gem
> source indes for: http://gems.rubyforge.org" and ends with
> Error: while executing gem (Timeout::Error)
> execution expired
> Is it firewall or something else?

I used to get that "Bulk updating" too, which made rubygems inoperable
for me.  You may have to upgrade rubygems.  What is the output of this
command:

$ gem -v

Updating rubygems is supposed to be easy, but in my case it was a long
nightmare.
Loga G. (Guest)
on 2009-04-30 14:49
Dima K. wrote:
> Hello dudes!!!!
> I cannot install any gems. Running gem begins with "Bulk updating gem
> source indes for: http://gems.rubyforge.org" and ends with
> Error: while executing gem (Timeout::Error)
> execution expired
> Is it firewall or something else?

Use the gem1.8 command to install. gem searches for the repository which
is not valid.
Dima K. (Guest)
on 2009-04-30 15:57
7stud -- wrote:

> I used to get that "Bulk updating" too, which made rubygems inoperable
> for me.  You may have to upgrade rubygems.  What is the output of this
> command:
>

> $ gem -v
>

> Updating rubygems is supposed to be easy, but in my case it was a long
> nightmare.

I have installed gem 1.3.1, now running gem ends with
error "no such file or directory - c:\users\дима",though this directory
exists.
Do I need to put some system variable&