Forum: Ruby IronRuby Question...

Becky F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-28 17:08
Hey folks,

I'm sure this is just something I've missed but I've been looking into
the Ruby.Net and IronRuby and I just wanted to check that IronRuby is
basically a way to compile ruby code into a dll for use with a VB.Net
project? All I need to be able to do is treat the ruby as containing
methods that the vb accesses and then has results returned - I know
Ruby.Net could do that but can IronRuby?

Thanks very much!
Becky
Zachary Brown (Guest)
IronRuby is an implementation of Ruby designed to run
on the .NET platform. As such, I suspect if you write proper
libraries in Ruby and wrap them up nicely you could theoretically
do that with VB.NET. However my understanding of the state of
IronRuby right now is that its not fully compatible at this point.

What you're asking though entirely depends on what stage IronRuby
is at. Similarly Java can make calls to JRuby.

-Zac
Becky F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-28 18:28
Zachary Brown wrote:
> IronRuby is an implementation of Ruby designed to run
> on the .NET platform. As such, I suspect if you write proper
> libraries in Ruby and wrap them up nicely you could theoretically
> do that with VB.NET. However my understanding of the state of
> IronRuby right now is that its not fully compatible at this point.
>
> What you're asking though entirely depends on what stage IronRuby
> is at. Similarly Java can make calls to JRuby.
>
> -Zac

Thank you - I think I'll stick with RubyConnector for now then :o)