Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails2 Documetation.

Sergio F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-28 08:03
Hello !

 I started to learn the ruby on rails 2(!) and I have many problems with
documentation. I'm new in this, and I don't know difference between 1x
and 2x versions of rails, oh , yes, I can see difference after seen
error messages in
firefox, removing this documentation, and adding this sites to
markedlist =)

 I never seen the tutorial or 1 of 4 books (received from friend of
mine) is worked, after reading 50 pages I understand that is for old
version and does not works  for me, tutorials does not works too. =(( I
killed much time for broken documentation.  I know only one place where
documentation is actual is  http://guides.rubyonrails.org/ , but it is
not enough for learning.

 I looking for working(!) documentation for rails 2(!), and maybe any
advices how to search it and determine defference without diving to this
broken documentation.

 Ok, I have question about associations. How to retrieve/send parameters
between the controllers without using the "hidden_fields" for html
forms?

 Thanks.
Conrad T. (Guest)
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Sergio F. <

> Hello !
>
>  I started to learn the ruby on rails 2(!) and I have many problems with
> documentation. I'm new in this, and I don't know difference between 1x
> and 2x versions of rails, oh , yes, I can see difference after seen
> error messages in
> firefox, removing this documentation, and adding this sites to
> markedlist =)

This really depends on what version of Rails you have installed?  In
general,
if you have questions and/or need information about the current version
of
Rails, I would recommend taking a look at the following:

http://api.rubyonrails.org

>  I never seen the tutorial or 1 of 4 books (received from friend of
> mine) is worked, after reading 50 pages I understand that is for old
> version and does not works  for me, tutorials does not works too. =(( I
> killed much time for broken documentation.  I know only one place where
> documentation is actual is  http://guides.rubyonrails.org/ , but it is
> not enough for learning.

First, I would highly recommend getting a good book.  Thus, I would
recommend
getting a copy of "Agile Web D. with Rails 3rd" by Dave T.
et
al.
Next, if you're working with Rails 2.3.2 in conjunction with the above
book,
I would
recommend taking a look at the following links:

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/2_3_release_notes.html
http://pragprog.wikidot.com/changes-in-rails-2-3
Sergio F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-28 09:04
I have
Rails 2.3.2

 I'll buy this book today, and I like this tutorials that you adviced.
Thanks you. But I'd be happy see many more advices =))
Jarl F. (Guest)
Conrad T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> First, I would highly recommend getting a good book.  Thus, I would
> recommend getting a copy of "Agile Web D. with Rails 3rd"
> by Dave T. et al.

Yes, this is indeed a good book. Just one con: it develops the
application before writing the tests. 3rd edition is also just
recently released, so the examples match recent rails version.

> Next, if you're working with Rails 2.3.2 in conjunction with the
> above book, I would recommend taking a look at the following links:
>
> http://guides.rubyonrails.org/2_3_release_notes.html
> http://pragprog.wikidot.com/changes-in-rails-2-3

Thanks for these links.

Jarl
Sergio F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-28 13:48
It is really very good book, and links very helpful. Need to add link to
this forum to the FAQ. I think so =) It is very good start for novice