Forum: JRuby Confused about tmail gem

marc (Guest)

I use a ruby gem that depends on tmail. tmail has native extensions. I
want to use the gem with jruby, so I thought I'd replace tmail, as and
where. However...

Googling around, I notice that jruby has a fix against tmail, 3116.

So, is it possible to install tmail for jruby, and if so, how do you do
it?

--
Best,
Marc

marc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use a ruby gem that depends on tmail. tmail has native extensions. I
> want to use the gem with jruby, so I thought I'd replace tmail, as and
> where. However...
>
> Googling around, I notice that jruby has a fix against tmail, 3116.
>
> So, is it possible to install tmail for jruby, and if so, how do you do
> it?

We may only have fixed a bug relating to Rails that referenced tmail. If
it has a native extension we definitely wouldn't support it. Can you
figure out what it's using native code for?

- Charlie

Charles Oliver N. said:

>> it?
>
> We may only have fixed a bug relating to Rails that referenced tmail. If
> it has a native extension we definitely wouldn't support it. Can you
> figure out what it's using native code for?

After two glasses of good rioja blanco at 22:30?

It's the usual C hieroglyphics. It's parsing (it refers to scanning)
something - I guess a bag of bytes representing an email - with funky
refs to Japanese strings and ISO2022 (also Japanese?). It doesn't look
very scary, about 600 lines. It basically seems to build and return a
couple of ruby objects.

However, I also spotted part of the build refs ENV['NORUBYEXT'], which
seems to allow a 'echo Native extensions will be omitted' build. Working
or red herring?

I don't know anything about the Ruby/C interface, especially once you
get
down to rb_define_ funcs, so it would take me a while to get into the
details.

It's damn ugly, though.

There's a bunch of tests too, so it might be a candidate to de-C. Would
that be of interest?

--
Best,
Marc

marc wrote:
> There's a bunch of tests too, so it might be a candidate to de-C. Would
> that be of interest?

Yeah, I suppose we could look for references to it and first check if it
works without the C bits loaded, but if it seems like they're needed or
helpful, it would definitely be a good project :) And if it's not much
code, it may be trivial to port.

- Charlie

Charles Oliver N. said:

> marc wrote:
>> There's a bunch of tests too, so it might be a candidate to de-C. Would
>> that be of interest?
>
> Yeah, I suppose we could look for references to it and first check if it
> works without the C bits loaded, but if it seems like they're needed or
> helpful, it would definitely be a good project :) And if it's not much
> code, it may be trivial to port.

According to: http://tmail.rubyforge.org/

tmail has an native ruby version, but nowhere do they describe how to
install it!

I've subscribed to their mailing list and asked how to install the
native
ruby version.

--
Best,