Forum: Ruby Legacy encryption function...

Alex F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-27 19:19
Hello everyone, I have an old Java authentication web service that I
must use in my rails development. The service takes a username and an
encrypted password. I'm having trouble reproducing the same encryption
algorithm.

Here is the Java encryption function:
  public static String digest(String text)
  {
    MessageDigest mDigest = null;
    try
    {
      mDigest = MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA");

      mDigest.update(text.toUpperCase().getBytes("UTF-8"));
    } catch (NoSuchAlgorithmException nsae) {
      nsae.printStackTrace();
    } catch (UnsupportedEncodingException uee) {
      uee.printStackTrace();
    }
    byte[] raw = mDigest.digest();
    return new BASE64Encoder().encode(raw);
  }

Here is the Ruby encryption function:
require 'digest/sha1'
Base64.encode64(Digest::SHA1.hexdigest('ruby'))

Now here is the resulting String calling the Java function with the
string 'ruby':
"oJtN1kHfQdCCLFN7ATWgAxIH6bc="

Here is what I get with my Ruby function for the same string:
"MThlNDBlMTQwMWVlZjY3ZTFhZTY5ZWZhYjA5YWZiNzFmODdmZmI4MQ==\n"

So, anybody knows what I'm doing wrong?
Charles J. (Guest)
On Apr 27, 2009, at 10:19 AM, Alexandre Alex wrote:

>    {
>    return new BASE64Encoder().encode(raw);
> Now here is the resulting String calling the Java function with the
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

What happens if you do this:

mDigest = MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA-1");

Cheers--

Charles
---
Charles J.
Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
Vanderbilt University
Charles J. (Guest)
On Apr 27, 2009, at 10:51 AM, Charles J. wrote:

> Vanderbilt University
Stupid me. SHA probably *is* sha-1 in the Java world. :(

Cheers--

Charles
---
Charles J.
Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
Vanderbilt University
Alex F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-27 21:07
Charles J. wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2009, at 10:51 AM, Charles J. wrote:
>
>> Vanderbilt University
> Stupid me. SHA probably *is* sha-1 in the Java world. :(
>
> Cheers--
>
> Charles
> ---
> Charles J.
> Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
> Vanderbilt University

No problem, in fact I found my problem. I have to use the digest
function instead of hexdigest...

Thanks anyway!