Forum: Ruby rake variables

Jeff S. (Guest)
I'm a rake beginner with a couple of questions:

(1) Is there any way to set rake options from the within the Rakefile,
as though they had been specified on the command-line?  I always want to
run a particular Rakefile with particular options (e.g. -s).

(2) It seems rake either gives way too much info, or not enough.  I want
Make-like behavior:  Don't bother telling me about stuff you didn't have
to build, but do tell me when you're actually building something.

I see the potential, and I like it, but I'm starting to feel like I need
a separate Makefile just to run rake.
Jeff S. (Guest)
Jeff S. wrote:
> I see the potential, and I like it, but I'm starting to feel like I need
> a separate Makefile just to run rake.

Can anyone recommend a more appropriate forum for these questions?
Jeff S. (Guest)
Jeff S. wrote:

> (1) Is there any way to set rake options from the within the Rakefile,
> as though they had been specified on the command-line?

The short answer to this is no.  The long answer is that you can use
rake as a library, and within your "rake replacement" script,
preconfigure Rake.application.options however you so choose.

I've just patched rake with support for a RAKEOPT environment variable:

http://github.com/jeffs/rake/tree/master

$ echo 'task :default do |t| puts t.name end' > Rakefile
$ rake
(in /Users/jeff)
default
$ RAKEOPT=-s rake
default
$
Jeff S. (Guest)
Jeff S. wrote:

> I've just patched rake with support for a RAKEOPT environment variable:

Merged into Jim W.'s mainline:
http://github.com/jimweirich/rake/commits/master

Thank you, Jim.