Forum: RSpec Background and scenario outline interaction

Jim M. (Guest)

I was surprised by this so I suspect it may be a bug.

I have a Scenario Outline, and a Background in my Feature and nothing
else,

The Background got executed 1 more time than expected.

Details are the Scenario Outline had 4 entries in the table, so I
expected 4 scenarios to get executed, and the Background to get
executed before each Scenario.

What happened was the Background got executed once initially, then
once for each entry on the outline table, the After scenario hook got
correctly executed after each of the 4 scenarios, but not after the
first Background (understandably as there was no scenario executed).

Is this a bug or feature ;)
Aslak H. (Guest)
Den 25. april. 2009 kl. 00.22 skrev Jim M.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> expected 4 scenarios to get executed, and the Background to get
> executed before each Scenario.
>
> What happened was the Background got executed once initially, then
> once for each entry on the outline table, the After scenario hook got
> correctly executed after each of the 4 scenarios, but not after the
> first Background (understandably as there was no scenario executed).

Gist.github.com feature, output and expected output please

Aslak
Andrew P. (Guest)
Is this with 0.3.0? If not this might have been recently fixed as I
reported
a similar bug recently

2009/4/24 Jim M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wolfmanjm (Guest)
Ahh no I'm still using 0.2.0

I was going to write up a gist as an example, I actually just stopped
using background and put it in the scenario outline, but I'll try it
on 0.3.0

Thanks
wolfmanjm (Guest)
Ok there is a different bug with 0.3.0, I'll work up a gist, but it
seems that background with scenario outline now has background  run
before the Before hook, or maybe the before hook is not being run. The
docs say background runs after the before hook.

I need to debug further to see what is actually happening
wolfmanjm (Guest)
Ok I confirmed that the Before hook is not run the first time through
when scenario outline and Background is used.
The After hook is run though.
In subsequent outlines before and after run as expected.

gist is here...
git clone git://gist.github.com/102789.git gist-102789
http://gist.github.com/gists/102789/download

I am using
cucumber (0.3.1)
jruby 1.1.6
also same results with ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i686-
linux]
Aslak H. (Guest)
> Ok I confirmed that the Before hook is not run the first time through
> when scenario outline and Background is used.
> The After hook is run though.
> In subsequent outlines before and after run as expected.
>
> gist is here...
> git clone git://gist.github.com/102789.git gist-102789
> http://gist.github.com/gists/102789/download

Thanks for doing the investigation. I have a vague idea what might be
causing it. Could you please file a bug in LightHouse?

Cheers,
Aslak