Forum: RSpec Passing custom arguments to an rspec script. Is this possible?

stephanie (Guest)

I am writing a rspec script to use with selenium-client. I would like
to pass the script some custom arguments in the command line to change
a few test settings in the script. However, rspec gives errors when I
pass arguments to the script because rspec does not expect them. Is
there any way I can pass custom arguments to an rspec script?

Thanks,
Stephanie
David C. (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:06 PM, stephanie
> Hi,
>
> I am writing a rspec script to use with selenium-client. I would like
> to pass the script some custom arguments in the command line to change
> a few test settings in the script. However, rspec gives errors when I
> pass arguments to the script because rspec does not expect them. Is
> there any way I can pass custom arguments to an rspec script?

Arbitrary arguments, no. You can require arbitrary files though:

spec --require path/to/config/file my_script.rb

In which case you could configure things in different config files.

Would that work for you?
David C. (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM, David C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> spec --require path/to/config/file my_script.rb
>
> In which case you could configure things in different config files.
>
> Would that work for you?

The other alternative would be:

ruby my_script.rb --custom-arg

To get that to work, the args have to come after my_script.rb and
my_script.rb would need to require 'spec/autorun'.
stephanie (Guest)
Thanks, I'll check out both options. -Stephanie