Forum: Ruby on Rails need to restart server every time a controller is generated?

winter h. (Guest)
on 2009-04-22 18:14
i thought we don't need to restart the server by

  ruby script/server

after we use

  ruby script/generate controller Bar index help

?

but if i don't restart the server, it will say for localhost:3000/bar

Routing Error

No route matches "/bar" with {:method=>:get}

is it true that we need to restart the server or is there a fast way
instead?  thanks.
Philip H. (Guest)
On Apr 22, 2009, at 7:14 AM, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon wrote:

> but if i don't restart the server, it will say for localhost:3000/bar
>
> Routing Error
>
> No route matches "/bar" with {:method=>:get}
>
> is it true that we need to restart the server or is there a fast way
> instead?  thanks.

You need to restart the server when you add controllers.  If you are
just changing them then you don't.
winter h. (Guest)
on 2009-04-22 20:04
Philip H. wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2009, at 7:14 AM, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon wrote:
>

>> but if i don't restart the server, it will say for localhost:3000/bar
>>
>> Routing Error
>>
>> No route matches "/bar" with {:method=>:get}
>>
>> is it true that we need to restart the server or is there a fast way
>> instead?  thanks.
>
> You need to restart the server when you add controllers.  If you are
> just changing them then you don't.

oh i just tried Rails 1.2.6 on my macbook.  seems like here, we don't
need to restart server.  maybe we only need to restart when it is Rails
2.0 and above?  thanks.
Philip H. (Guest)
>> You need to restart the server when you add controllers.  If you are
>> just changing them then you don't.
>
> oh i just tried Rails 1.2.6 on my macbook.  seems like here, we don't
> need to restart server.  maybe we only need to restart when it is
> Rails
> 2.0 and above?  thanks.

Maybe.  1.2.6 was a long time ago.  If this is a new project you
should drop that quick and get 2.3.x... a lot has changed since 1.2.6.
winter h. (Guest)
on 2009-04-22 20:31
Philip H. wrote:
>>> You need to restart the server when you add controllers.  If you are
>>> just changing them then you don't.
>>
>> oh i just tried Rails 1.2.6 on my macbook.  seems like here, we don't
>> need to restart server.  maybe we only need to restart when it is
>> Rails
>> 2.0 and above?  thanks.
>
> Maybe.  1.2.6 was a long time ago.  If this is a new project you
> should drop that quick and get 2.3.x... a lot has changed since 1.2.6.

can't 1.2.6 and 2.3 both build a website that is quite "Rails"?  what
function or speed enhancement can be obtained?  it is said that Ruby 1.9
is a lot faster but i wonder if Ruby 1.9 can be used with Rails 2.3?
thanks