Forum: NGINX x-forward-header / x-real-ip

Payam C. (Guest)
hey guys,

what is the main difference between these two? reading the
documentation it looks like both set the ip address of the client on
the request which allows you to pass the real client ip address to a
backend server via nginx proxy...  or i could be totally wrong here!

I was looking on the site for an example as to how the config would
look if I wanted to let the backend know of the real client ip address
that is requesting the connection... need this for load balancing.:

Thanks,
Igor S. (Guest)
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:41:16PM -0700, Payam C. wrote:

> hey guys,
>
> what is the main difference between these two? reading the
> documentation it looks like both set the ip address of the client on
> the request which allows you to pass the real client ip address to a
> backend server via nginx proxy...  or i could be totally wrong here!
>
> I was looking on the site for an example as to how the config would
> look if I wanted to let the backend know of the real client ip address
> that is requesting the connection... need this for load balancing.:

X-Forwared-For is header where proxy servers usually add client
addresses:
"192.168.1.1, 10.10.10.1, 10.10.1.1". The variable
$proxy_add_x_forwarded_for
does this addition. X-Real-IP is non standard header, where nginx
sets client addresses. Usually you need just one of the them.
Payam C. (Guest)
2009/4/21 Igor S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>> look if I wanted to let the backend know of the real client ip address
> http://sysoev.ru/en/

Hey Igor,

Thanks, ok so by just having $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for  active in my
proxy.conf,  this should apply itself for all proxyp_pass connections
sent to the backend correct?
Payam C. (Guest)
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Payam C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>>> I was looking on the site for an example as to how the config would
>> Igor S.
>

> --
> Payam

anyone have anything on this? would greatly be appreciated

thanks,
Igor S. (Guest)
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 01:51:07PM -0700, Payam C. wrote:

> >> I was looking on the site for an example as to how the config would
> > Igor S.
> > http://sysoev.ru/en/
> >

> Hey Igor,
>
> Thanks, ok so by just having $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for  active in my
> proxy.conf,  this should apply itself for all proxyp_pass connections
> sent to the backend correct?

If you use Apache2 as backend, then you should install:
http://stderr.net/apache/rpaf/