Forum: Ruby on Rails Any plugin to send email asyncronously in the background

ajaya a. (Guest)
on 2009-04-20 21:02
We would like to queue our emails and send them outside of the
application using an external SMTP provider.  Any plugin out there which
will do this for us? I would like to explore before we go all out &
write our own.

aj
Marko A. (Guest)
delayed_job [0] is a nice plugin to do things in the background.

  mx.

[0] http://github.com/tobi/delayed_job/tree/master

On Apr 20, 7:02 pm, Ajaya A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Apr 20, 6:02 pm, Ajaya A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> We would like to queue our emails and send them outside of the
> application using an external SMTP provider.  Any plugin out there which
> will do this for us? I would like to explore before we go all out &
> write our own.

ar_mailer does something like this.

Fred
David K. (Guest)
On 20 Apr., 19:02, Ajaya A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> We would like to queue our emails and send them outside of the
> application using an external SMTP provider.  Any plugin out there which
> will do this for us? I would like to explore before we go all out &
> write our own.
>
> aj

You can also take a look at this episode of Railscasts:
http://railscasts.com/episodes/129-custom-daemon Making your own
daemon to run in the background is surprisingly easy.

--
Best regards,
David K.
Ajaya A. wrote:
> We would like to queue our emails and send them outside of the
> application using an external SMTP provider.  Any plugin out there which
> will do this for us? I would like to explore before we go all out &
> write our own.
>
> aj

thank you all for your suggestions. Instead of creating another queuing
solution for email, i went back to default sendmail to send email &
configured sendmail to use an external authenticated SMTP server to
relay the email.

http://www.phinesolutions.com/sendmail-gmail-smtp-...

Thanks

AJ
Harm (Guest)
I used Spawn (http://blog.sidu.in/2008/06/spawn-reliable-background-
processing.html) _really_ easy to setup. Don't expect any great
control though.