Forum: JRuby Keynote for JAX

Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
It turns out my keynote for JAX is only going to be 45 minutes, so I'm
considering just making it 90% demos. But there's a few things I'd like
to show that I need some help with:

* GAE tooling and deployment. I know the Reggae project (Ruby
tooling/gem for GAE stuff) is not quite ready yet, but I'd like to at
least show Rails, Merb, Sinatra, and any other frameworks working on
GAE. If it's possible to show the tooling that's great too. Send me
links and latest howtos.

* Swing development. I'd like to see the latest from Swing library
folks...and I'm guessing the MonkeyBars guys probably would have the
best stuff to show off. A demo app and short instructions for what code
to show would be enough.

* Graphics/Games. King pong? That Gravity-well game from Logan B.?
I need some tarballs and instructions to run, plus key source files to
show off.

Other short, sweet demos you'd suggest? I have things I can use to fill
out the rest of the time, but there's a couple areas it might be cool to
do more:

* FFI
* Graphics/RMagick/ImageVoodoo
* BiteScript?
* Others?

I'd also like to show off public webapps, so send me links for them with
descriptions and so on.

Help me make my 45 minutes totally community driven :)

- Charlie

GlassFish Gem ?

-Arun

Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> * Swing development. I'd like to see the latest from Swing library
> do more:
>
> - Charlie

Application Platform, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Blog: http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta

> * Graphics/RMagick/ImageVoodoo

If you want something about RMagick, let me know. You can find some
basic scripts in rmagick's repo (tests/eyetest/tests). They''re quite
basic (they're what I use to test rmagick4j). Tim made a cool script
for generating icons for iPhone apps, but it doesn't works in
rmagick4j yet.

> * BiteScript?

ruby2java?

Serabe

--
http://www.serabe.com

When is JAX and how long do we have to get you some apps?

I have a Monkeybars App that could be shown as it's OSS, Logan has
stuff as well I'm sure.

Both Logan and I will probably have game stuff you could use.

David K.

On Apr 20, 2009, at 6:49 AM, Charles Oliver N. wrote:

> * Swing development. I'd like to see the latest from Swing library
> be cool to do more:
>
> - Charlie

>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

I speak Wednesday Night at 8PM. It is currently Tuesday night at 9:40PM
:)

I'm not expecting anything crazy...just point me to some code and I can
weave it into my presentation. If I have enough demos to fill 45
minutes, all the better.

Serabe wrote:
> 2009/4/20 Charles Oliver N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>> * Graphics/RMagick/ImageVoodoo
>
> If you want something about RMagick, let me know. You can find some
> basic scripts in rmagick's repo (tests/eyetest/tests). They''re quite
> basic (they're what I use to test rmagick4j). Tim made a cool script
> for generating icons for iPhone apps, but it doesn't works in
> rmagick4j yet.

I'll have a look at the example scripts, thank you.

>> * BiteScript?
>
> ruby2java?

I definitely plan to show this, especially since with ruby2java we're
the only JVM dynlang that can use runtime types to define Java
methods...

- Charlie

Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> I speak Wednesday Night at 8PM. It is currently Tuesday night at 9:40PM :)

Sorry, it's currently *MONDAY* night at 9:40PM.

>> Both Logan and I will probably have game stuff you could use.
>>> * GAE tooling and deployment. I know the Reggae project (Ruby
>>> * Graphics/Games. King pong? That Gravity-well game from Logan
>>> * Others?

BTW -- This is a good fire-drill practice for Java One's Script Bowl.
There will be two real-world tasks given out about a month out and we
will need people ready and willing to solve those tasks using JRuby.
Stay tuned....

-Tom

PS - You have king pong already?  Do you need it?

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Charles Oliver N.

Blog: http://www.bloglines.com/blog/ThomasEEnebo
Email: removed_email_address@domain.invalid ,
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Hey Charles,

I've got a dataset i can slap some merb controllers & views on top of,
and
upload it to Google App Engine (i'll give it a stab tonight).  Also you
should be able to use Reggae as it is at least to demonstrate starting
and
stopping GAE's dev server if you want to live demo running a GAE app on
your
local machine.

-Ted

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Charles Oliver N. <
Serabe (Guest)
2009/4/20 Charles Oliver N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Charles Oliver N. wrote:
>>
>> I speak Wednesday Night at 8PM. It is currently Tuesday night at 9:40PM :)
>
> Sorry, it's currently *MONDAY* night at 9:40PM.

How can you get an almost two days time difference between two points
in Earth? Now I get why I failed astronomy the first time...

Cheers,

Serabe

--
http://www.serabe.com

Ted H. wrote:
> Hey Charles,
>
> I've got a dataset i can slap some merb controllers & views on top of,
> and upload it to Google App Engine (i'll give it a stab tonight).  Also
> you should be able to use Reggae as it is at least to demonstrate
> starting and stopping GAE's dev server if you want to live demo running
> a GAE app on your local machine.

If we can show the app already-deployed, that's enough. But if there's a
simple way I can show the GAE tooling via Reggae, that would be the
icing on the cake. I'll be pressed for time to get all stuff in I want
to show either way.

Gimme pointers to the app and current Reggae stuff as they're ready...

- Charlie

Thomas E Enebo wrote:
> BTW -- This is a good fire-drill practice for Java One's Script Bowl.
> There will be two real-world tasks given out about a month out and we
> will need people ready and willing to solve those tasks using JRuby.
> Stay tuned....
>
> -Tom
>
> PS - You have king pong already?  Do you need it?

Send king pong again...I don't have it on this machine.

Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> * GAE tooling and deployment. I know the Reggae project (Ruby
> tooling/gem for GAE stuff) is not quite ready yet, but I'd like to at
> least show Rails, Merb, Sinatra, and any other frameworks working on
> GAE. If it's possible to show the tooling that's great too. Send me
> links and latest howtos.
Maybe a bit late, but there's a DataMapper adapter for DataStore now:
http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/04/datamapper-datas...

Direct link:
http://github.com/genki/dm-datastore-adapter/tree/master