Forum: Ruby Get Source Code of a http://... site?

Joshua M. (Guest)
on 2009-04-20 12:35
Hi all

I want to download the source code of a website using Ruby? How can I
achieve this? ...when searching with Google, I only get download links
for the Ruby source etc. ;-)

Thanks
Josh
Robert K. (Guest)
2009/4/20 Joshua M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> I want to download the source code of a website using Ruby? How can I
> achieve this? ...when searching with Google, I only get download links
> for the Ruby source etc. ;-)

The source code of a web site is usually not available apart from the
JavaScript you see in pages - for good reasons (security,
copyright...).

Cheers

robert
Joshua M. (Guest)
on 2009-04-20 12:46
Robert K. wrote:
> 2009/4/20 Joshua M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>> I want to download the source code of a website using Ruby? How can I
>> achieve this? ...when searching with Google, I only get download links
>> for the Ruby source etc. ;-)
>
> The source code of a web site is usually not available apart from the
> JavaScript you see in pages - for good reasons (security,
> copyright...).
>
> Cheers
>
> robert

Oh, I wasn't clear enough, I just need the XHTML code, no
behind-the-scenes Ruby or PHP or stuff. ;-)

It's because I want to use captchator.com and I need to check the result
(0 or 1) using an URL like this:

http://captchator.com/captcha/check_answer/#{captc...
Robert K. (Guest)
2009/4/20 Joshua M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Oh, I wasn't clear enough, I just need the XHTML code, no
> behind-the-scenes Ruby or PHP or stuff. ;-)

There are mechanize, hpricot and a few other alternatives that can
help you there.

Cheers

robert
Joshua M. (Guest)
on 2009-04-20 13:04
Robert K. wrote:
> 2009/4/20 Joshua M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>> Oh, I wasn't clear enough, I just need the XHTML code, no
>> behind-the-scenes Ruby or PHP or stuff. ;-)
>
> There are mechanize, hpricot and a few other alternatives that can
> help you there.
>
> Cheers
>
> robert

Thanks, but that would be a big overkill I guess. I found the following
site which explains how to do it with just a few original methods:

http://blog.thembid.com/2007/08/06/using-ruby-to-s...
Daniel Huckstep (Guest)
If you just need to get it, for archive or something, and just chose
ruby, have a look at httrack. Not ruby, just its own app, but it
mirrors pages.

- Daniel
Joshua M. (Guest)
on 2009-04-21 03:04
Daniel Huckstep wrote:
> If you just need to get it, for archive or something, and just chose
> ruby, have a look at httrack. Not ruby, just its own app, but it
> mirrors pages.
>
> - Daniel

Thanks, I know httrack... had some problems with it lately, though...
;-)