Forum: RSpec autospec startup problem

Rick L. (Guest)
Following the instructions in the beta Rspec book,

/Rspec/mastermind 536 >
autospec
/opt/RoR/bin/autotest:19:in `load': Is a directory - /opt/RoR/lib/ruby/
gems/1.9.1/gems/cucumber-0.3.0/lib/autotest (Errno::EISDIR)
  from /opt/RoR/bin/autotest:19:in `<main>'

Here's where I'm at for local gems:

actionmailer (2.3.2)
actionpack (2.3.2)
activerecord (2.3.2)
activeresource (2.3.2)
activesupport (2.3.2)
archive-gem (0.0.1)
archive-tar (0.9.0)
archive-tar-external (1.2.1)
archive-tar-minitar (0.5.2)
archive-tarsimple (1.1.1)
archive-zip (0.3.0)
archives (0.0.1)
builder (2.1.2)
columnize (0.3.0)
commonwatir (1.6.2)
cucumber (0.3.0)
daemons (1.0.10)
diff-lcs (1.1.2)
eventmachine (0.12.6)
firewatir (1.6.2)
flexmock (0.8.5)
giraffesoft-resource_controller (0.6.1)
hoe (1.10.0)
io-like (0.2.0)
memcache-client (1.7.0)
mislav-will_paginate (2.3.8)
mocha (0.9.5)
mysql (2.8.1)
newgem (1.2.3)
nokogiri (1.2.1)
pg (0.7.9.2009.02.26)
polyglot (0.2.5)
rack (0.9.1)
railroad (0.5.0)
rails (2.3.2)
rake (0.8.4)
rb-appscript (0.5.1)
rcov (0.8.2.1)
RedCloth (4.1.9)
rmagick (2.9.1)
rspec (1.2.4)
rspec-rails (1.2.4)
rubigen (1.5.2)
ruby-openid (2.1.4)
rubyforge (1.0.3)
rubyist-aasm (2.0.5)
s4t-utils (1.0.4)
safariwatir (0.3.3)
sqlite3-ruby (1.2.4)
syntax (1.0.0)
term-ansicolor (1.0.3)
test-unit (1.2.3)
thin (1.0.0)
treetop (1.2.5)
user-choices (1.1.6)
webrat (0.4.4)
xml-simple (1.0.12)
ZenTest (4.0.0)

thanks in advance,
rick
David C. (Guest)
On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Rick <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Following the instructions in the beta Rspec book,

Where are you in the book when you see this? And which version of the
beta?
Rick L. (Guest)
sorry about the miss-direction, the command is autotest not autospec
but the result is the same:

from archbd-b4_0.pdf, Section 14.3 Autotest, page 171

/Rspec/mastermind 523 > autotest
/opt/RoR/bin/autotest:19:in `load': Is a directory - /opt/RoR/lib/ruby/
gems/1.9.1/gems/cucumber-0.3.0/lib/autotest (Errno::EISDIR)
  from /opt/RoR/bin/autotest:19:in `<main>'

rick
Rick L. (Guest)
David - here's some more info...

This is a ruby1.9.1p0/rails2.3.2 issue.

If I run under ruby1.8.7/rails2.3.2 autotest starts fine:

/Rspec/mastermind 528 > autotest
(Not running features.  To run features in autotest, set
AUTOFEATURE=true.)

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (2.3.2, 2.3.1, 2.2.2)
actionpack (2.3.2, 2.3.1, 2.2.2)
activerecord (2.3.2, 2.3.1, 2.2.2)
activeresource (2.3.2, 2.3.1, 2.2.2)
activesupport (2.3.2, 2.3.1, 2.2.2)
builder (2.1.2)
columnize (0.3.0)
commonwatir (1.6.2)
cucumber (0.3.0, 0.1.16)
daemons (1.0.10)
diff-lcs (1.1.2)
eventmachine (0.12.6, 0.12.4)
firewatir (1.6.2)
flexmock (0.8.6, 0.8.4)
hoe (1.12.2, 1.9.0)
linecache (0.43)
mocha (0.9.5)
mysql (2.8)
nokogiri (1.2.3, 1.2.1)
pg (0.8.0, 0.7.9.2008.10.13)
polyglot (0.2.5)
rack (0.9.1)
rails (2.3.2, 2.3.1, 2.2.2)
rake (0.8.4)
rb-appscript (0.5.1)
rcov (0.8.1.2.0)
rspec (1.2.4, 1.2.2, 1.1.99.12, 1.1.12)
rspec-rails (1.2.4, 1.1.99.12, 1.1.12)
ruby-debug (0.10.3)
ruby-debug-base (0.10.3)
rubyforge (1.0.3)
rubyist-aasm (2.0.5)
s4t-utils (1.0.4)
safariwatir (0.3.3)
sqlite3-ruby (1.2.4)
term-ansicolor (1.0.3)
thin (1.0.0)
treetop (1.2.5, 1.2.4)
user-choices (1.1.6)
webrat (0.4.2)
xml-simple (1.0.12)
ZenTest (4.0.0)
Luis L. (Guest)
On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Rick <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> David - here's some more info...
>
> This is a ruby1.9.1p0/rails2.3.2 issue.
>
> If I run under ruby1.8.7/rails2.3.2 autotest starts fine:
>
> /Rspec/mastermind 528 > autotest
> (Not running features.  To run features in autotest, set
> AUTOFEATURE=true.)

I believe the root of this issue with 1.9.1 is that load and require
are a bit messed up in 1.9. I've seen this for other projects and a
few but reports to ruby-core.

You can try 1.9.2-dev (which is trunk right now I believe) and see if
that solves your problem. Hopefully that get backported to 1_9_1
branch and you can build 1.9.1 from it.

--
Luis L.
AREA 17

The command (of course) is autospec.  It works as advertised when run
under ruby1.8.7 but fails as initially reported under ruby1.9.1p0

rick
Luis L. (Guest)
On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Rick <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> It hurts when I do this...
>
> The command (of course) is autospec.  It works as advertised when run
> under ruby1.8.7 but fails as initially reported under ruby1.9.1p0

Just replied to you about this. Please see my previous answer here:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rspec-users/2009-Ap...

--
Luis L.
AREA 17

Done and done.  I was unclear how to obtain 1.9.2-dev so I went to
ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org and grabbed the today snapshot for 1.9.
Perhaps you could clue me in to the way to obtain 1.9.2-dev if this is
not what I've got.

At any rate, I built and installed ruby.  Autospec now loads as
advertised in the beta book - now for some serious testing.

Thank you for that,
rick

---
I've been cutting and cutting and it's still too short!
Fred Linquist
Luis L. (Guest)
On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Rick <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Luis
>
> Done and done.  I was unclear how to obtain 1.9.2-dev so I went to
> ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org and grabbed the today snapshot for 1.9.
> Perhaps you could clue me in to the way to obtain 1.9.2-dev if this is
> not what I've got.

ruby -v should tell you what you just built :-)

If you're on a Mac/Linux I recommend you using multiruby (that cames
with ZenTest gem). to setup multiple versions of Ruby.

> At any rate, I built and installed ruby.  Autospec now loads as
> advertised in the beta book - now for some serious testing.

Awesome! Don't hesitate in let us know how everything works.

> Thank you for that,
> rick

Sure!

Cheers!