Forum: Ruby on Rails Multiple Check Box

Naveen N. (Guest)
on 2009-04-17 08:20
I had given like

Java<%=check_box_tag "employees", "skills[]",  "Java" %>
Rails<%=check_box_tag "employees", "skills[]",  "Rails" %>
C<%=check_box_tag "employees", "skills[]",  "C" %>

since it belongs to the "employee" object. So both the checkboxes (Java
and Rails) are selected in the "new" page.

In the controller, I had given

@employees = Employees.new(@params['employees'])
@employees.save

Also in the DB, I am having a table called as "employees" and in that
"skills" is a column.

Is it possible in DB to have a single column "skills" for multiple
checkboxes
(Java, Rails and C)

Could you please suggest what needs to be done.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Apr 17, 5:20 am, Naveen N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> @employees = Employees.new(@params['employees'])
> @employees.save
>
> Also in the DB, I am having a table called as "employees" and in that
> "skills" is a column.
>
> Is it possible in DB to have a single column "skills" for multiple
> checkboxes
> (Java, Rails and C)

Well ActiveRecord will serialize stuff into a single column (see the
serialize method), but typically the way you would do this would be to
have a skills table and then a has many through between employees and
skills.

Fred