Forum: IronRuby Bug filed: Array#hash should properly handle recursive arrays

Daniele A. (Guest)

I have just filed this bug on CodePlex:
http://ironruby.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?Wo...

It is actually pretty easy to fix with a bunch of lines of code in
RubyArray.GetHashCode (just tested, too bad IronRuby.dll is not open
to contributions) and, as a result, this would resolve the following 4
critical failures for the array core specs:

Array#hash properly handles recursive arrays
Array#| properly handles recursive arrays
Array#uniq properly handles recursive arrays
Array#uniq! properly handles recursive arrays

Regards

--
Daniele A.
http://www.clorophilla.net/blog/

However, the simple fix wont deal with the case where the array is
indirectly recursive as in this snippet.
  a = []
  b = [a]
  a<<b
Shri B. (Guest)
Curt pointed out a way to fix the recursive case using
RubyUtils.RecursionTracker...
Daniele A. (Guest)
Great, that's exactly what I used :-)

Thanks

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 00:22, Shri B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> However, the simple fix wont deal with the case where the array is indirectly recursive
as in this snippet.
> Hi,
> Array#| properly handles recursive arrays
> Ironruby-core mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Daniele A.
http://www.clorophilla.net/blog/
http://twitter.com/JoL1hAHN
Tomas M. (Guest)
Does Ruby call "hash" dynamically on each element of the array?
If not then there is no need for RecursionTracker. A simple
non-recursive DFS with a dictionary that remembers visited objects
should do.

Tomas
Tomas M. (Guest)
See RubyFileOps.Join for an example.

Tomas
Curt H. (Guest)
The simple test I did suggested that MRI dynamically calls hash on each
element of the array.