Forum: IronRuby C# method returns string to IronRuby - how it automatically be a IronRuby string?

Ben H. (Guest)
Hello,

Just hosted the DLR within an application to allow users some
scripting functionality.  Part of the functionality is that you can
call a C# method and have a string returned. However, the string is
always being returned as a ClrString which means methods like << don't
work which is annoying.  Having to write to_s after every call isn't
great for my nice clean DSL :)

How can I get around this? I want my C# method to return Ruby string.

Thanks

Ben
Ivan P. (Guest)
Monkey patch ClrString with the methods you need?
Or make your C# method return MutableString if you are able to
---
Ivan Porto C.
GSM: +32.486.787.582
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim
Tomas M. (Guest)
Do you have the latest build of IronRuby?
Non-mutable Ruby methods are implemented there on CLR strings.

Tomas

Monkey patch ClrString with the methods you need?
Or make your C# method return MutableString if you are able to
---
Ivan Porto C.
GSM: +32.486.787.582
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Ben H.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid<mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid>>
wrote:
Hello,

Just hosted the DLR within an application to allow users some
scripting functionality.  Part of the functionality is that you can
call a C# method and have a string returned. However, the string is
always being returned as a ClrString which means methods like << don't
work which is annoying.  Having to write to_s after every call isn't
great for my nice clean DSL :)

How can I get around this? I want my C# method to return Ruby string.

Thanks

Ben
I am using 0.3 build but I can grab the latest tomorrow. If that fails
I will give MutableString strings a try - thanks for the responses :)

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Tomas M.