Forum: JRuby ruby with postgresql and jruby jdbcpostgresql.

Msan M. (Guest)
I have two simple applications: one in ruby and on in jruby.
I've noticed that the one in ruby that uses postgresql adapter is
faster in queries than one in jruby that uses jdbcpostgresql adapter.

> I have two simple applications: one in ruby and on in jruby.
> I've noticed that the one in ruby that uses postgresql adapter is
> faster in queries than one in jruby that uses jdbcpostgresql adapter.

For small, short tasks, it doesn't surprise me that JRuby is slower.
The activerecord-jdbc code still could use some optimization, but also
I suspect you're going to see JRuby catch up if/when the applications
run longer or handle a larger workload.

/Nick

Mauro wrote:
> I have two simple applications: one in ruby and on in jruby.
> I've noticed that the one in ruby that uses postgresql adapter is
> faster in queries than one in jruby that uses jdbcpostgresql adapter.

If you are able to identify specific DB operations that are unusually
slow, please let us know. Tom and Nick did a pass over the AR adapters
in the most recent release to clean them up and improve performance, and
there's certainly more that can be done.

Also, Nick is right...short runs are not our strongest area, but for a
longer-running app you should see us pull ahead (and if we don't,
there's probably something we can improve).

- Charlie

> Also, Nick is right...short runs are not our strongest area, but for a
> longer-running app you should see us pull ahead (and if we don't, there's
> probably something we can improve).

Ok, my app is a webapp for simple queries over small tables.