Forum: wxRuby 1.9 win32

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Eric W. (Guest)
on 2009-04-15 01:32
(Received via mailing list)
I'm sure this has been brought up before but I haven't heard anything
lately.

When is there going to be a wxruby-ruby19 for Windows?

-- Eric W.
Mario S. (Guest)
on 2009-04-15 02:18
(Received via mailing list)
We have a release on RubyForge for Ruby 1.9, we even have a Complete
setup,
which includes a compile of Ruby 1.9 with MinGW, and wxRuby 2.0.

You can find them here:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=35&release_id=31815

hth,

Mario
Alex F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-15 02:34
(Received via mailing list)
Eric W. wrote:
> I'm sure this has been brought up before but I haven't heard anything lately.
>
> When is there going to be a wxruby-ruby19 for Windows?

There already is - the mingw32 build for Ruby 1.9. There's also an
all-in-one installing providing Ruby 1.9 and wxRuby 2.0.

wxRuby 2.0 doesn't currently compile with the version of Microsoft's
compiler used for some Ruby 1.9 binary offering from elsewhere (MSVC9).

Personally I'm open to working on this at some stage, but I'd like some
clearer signals from the ruby core dev team or wider ruby community
about which is going to become the preferred compiler for Ruby 1.9
before committing the resources needed to supporting another set up.

hth
alex
Eric W. (Guest)
on 2009-04-15 18:20
(Received via mailing list)
Apparently the current win32 mysql gem will not work with your
mingw32.exe installer.
Mario S. (Guest)
on 2009-04-15 23:08
(Received via mailing list)
That's probably because the current win32 mysql gem, is built with MSVC,
instead of MinGW.  There are some gems that you have to rebuild for the
MinGW Version of the Ruby Interpreter.  You may want to look at Luis
Lavena's Installer3 Framework, to build the MinGW version of Ruby.
Unfortunately, I don't remember the URL offhand, but you should be able
to
find it being discussed in the archives of the Mailing List, and through
using Google.

hth,

Mario
Alex F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-16 01:46
(Received via mailing list)
Mario S. wrote:
> That's probably because the current win32 mysql gem, is built with
> MSVC, instead of MinGW.  There are some gems that you have to rebuild
> for the MinGW Version of the Ruby Interpreter.

As Mario says, this is the unfortunate situation with Ruby 1.9 on
Windows. Projects that depend on compilation (like wxRuby, MySQL ... and
lots of others) don't really know whether to work on supporting MingW or
MSVC. Most don't yet support either.

> You may want to look at Luis L.'s Installer3 Framework, to build
> the MinGW version of Ruby.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the URL
> offhand, but you should be able to find it being discussed in the
> archives of the Mailing List, and through using Google.

See the link in this post - think this is current recommended route for
setting up MingW Ruby 1.9 with developer tools so you can compile (some)
gems.

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubyinstaller-devel...

hth
alex
Alex F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-16 01:51
(Received via mailing list)
Eric W. wrote:
> Apparently the current win32 mysql gem will not work with your
> mingw32.exe installer.

PS - there is a fork of ruby-mysql to support MySQL on MingW

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubyinstaller-devel...

alex
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.