ROR performance for milions pageviews/month

Hi all!

I`ll rewrite a 10 years old site, written in asp/mysql
(www.motonline.com.br). Now it has one milion page views a month, and
we can hope it grows after rewrite. Well, I know several ror sites,
but have no idea about its access stats. I already use ror for smaller
projects and only need to confirm if ror can satisfy the performance
demands for this.
Can you comment about the ror performance for such a page view scale
and/or point to some cases or statistics from existing sites?

Thank you,
Tom L.

Twitter has more than this, therefore its possible.

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

I`ll rewrite a 10 years old site, written in asp/mysql
(www.motonline.com.br). Now it has one milion page views a month, and
we can hope it grows after rewrite. Well, I know several ror sites,
but have no idea about its access stats. I already use ror for smaller
projects and only need to confirm if ror can satisfy the performance
demands for this.
Can you comment about the ror performance for such a page view scale
and/or point to some cases or statistics from existing sites?

Rails can scale to support that. The problems you’ll run into after a
certain point aren’t really Rails specific, but will apply to any site
serving that amount of traffic.

Also keep in mind that 1mil views/month spread out evenly is only .38
views a second. Which isn’t much. Of course traffic is never spread
evenly, but you get my point.

You might want to check out http://railslab.newrelic.com/scaling-rails
to help guide your decisions.

-philip

Julian L. wrote:

Twitter has more than this, therefore its possible.

That’s a horrible example. Twitter is notorious for poor performance
and frequent outages.

However, GitHub and Lighthouse are good examples of high-traffic Rails
apps with good performance. So is Backpack, I think. So it certainly
is possible.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

Julian L. wrote:

Twitter has more than this, therefore its possible.

That’s a horrible example. Twitter is notorious for poor performance
and frequent outages.

However, GitHub and Lighthouse are good examples of high-traffic Rails
apps with good performance. So is Backpack, I think. So it certainly
is possible.

cardplayer.com and spadeclub.com also run Rails. There’s a ton of
stuff going on much of which isn’t cacheable (at least for
cardplayer.com). 3 years ago cardplayer did about 8 mil views a day
for a couple of weeks (during the WSOP). There’s some hardware behind
it, but we’d have done that with any other platform as well.

also, doesn’t penny-arcade run rails? they do a ton of traffic.

-philip

Tom,

Check Joyent’s article on LinkedIn scaling (Scale Rails to 1 Billion
Pageviews):

http://www.joyent.com/a/scale-rails-to-1-billion-pageviews

Also, we’re currently revamping a couple very large sites using rails,
so we’re quite confident on its performance. (vc tá em SP?)

Cheers, Sazima

What would happen if you put an iFrame on the current site that
requests a response from a rails test app? It could be invisible to
the end user, and the requested asp page wouldn’t depend on it. You
would be able to look at the logs and follow the activity from the
rails site. This might give you some basic insights into performance
issues.

Hi Tom,

Just to fine tune your original question, you’re probably most
interested in
knowing whether or not a Rails equivalent to your current ASP
application
will be capable of running on the same hardware and infrastructure as
your
existing setup with approximately the same resource requirements and
performance. If I were sitting down with you as a consultant, I would
immediately ask the following questions:

  • What does your current hardware and infrastructure solution look
    like?
    (i.e. number and type of servers, where hosted, etc.)
  • What does your application look like? (i.e. mostly static content,
    dynamic application functionality, little/lots of Ajax, etc.)
  • How much higher is your peak load than your average load? (i.e.
    10x,
    50x, 100x, etc.)

Without that information, you’re going to get a lot of answers about how
Rails scales well without really knowing whether or not Rails will scale
well for you. However, if we assume a peak load somewhere between 10x
and
20x, you’re talking about something on the order of a few hundred
requests
per minute which is not such a high demand to place on a basic Rails app
running on a single recent model server, especially if you’re able to
implement some form of caching.

(www.motonline.com.br). Now it has one milion page views a month, and
we can hope it grows after rewrite. Well, I know several ror sites,
but have no idea about its access stats. I already use ror for smaller
projects and only need to confirm if ror can satisfy the performance
demands for this.

Did you calculate how many req/s is 1 million page views per month? You
would be surprised how low that figure actually is.

Anyway, unlike twitter you will be able to do page caching on your most
viewed pages, that means Rails won’t be hit and you’ll be able to
achieve high performance.

Hi all!
Thank you very much for the replys, all util information for my decisions.

As Chris noted:
- My first post need to be fine tuned. Until next monday
I will post the answers for the three questions (actual hardware, app type
and access peak/average relation).
- I`m most interested in knowing whether or not a Rails equivalent to
current ASP application (and the new app that will be developted) will be
capable of running on the same hardware and infrastructure as my
existing setup with approximately the same resource requirements and
performance.

For now, I can make only a little fine tune: I said one milion pageviews,
but it is not exact, because 50% of the pageviews are consumed by the
forum, and the new rails site won`t include the forum, rather we will
use Vbulletin or Jive SBS. Also, the rest 50% pageviews are consumed partially
by static content.

Regarding hardware, I already use slicehost for some projects and like it.
I`am thinking about to use 2GB slice:

Plan RAM Storage BW Monthly Cost
2GB slice 2048MB 80GB 800GB $130
from http://www.slicehost.com/

Of course, it is just a possibility, since this decision depends strongly of the
research I`m doing now (including your replys).

Tom L.