Forum: Ruby on Rails Loop and instance variable problem

Nick H. (Guest)
on 2009-04-14 18:33
I have a loop for parsing each rss feed

@address.each do |address|
         @feed = SimpleRSS.parse open(address.feed)
       end

the problem is my my instance variable @feed just gets overwritten so
basically it displays the last parsed feed

how can i store each feed without it been overwrited so i can display it
in my view?

regards

nick
Andrew T. (Guest)
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Nick H.

> how can i store each feed without it been overwrited so i can display it
> in my view?
>
> regards
>
> nick

@feeds = []
@address.each do |address|
  @feeds << SimpleRSS.parse open(address.feed)
end

In your view
@feeds.each do |fee|

Andrew T.
http://ramblingsonrails.com

Nick H. (Guest)
on 2009-04-14 19:01
Andrew T. wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Nick H.
>>
>> how can i store each feed without it been overwrited so i can display it
>> in my view?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> nick
>
> @feeds = []
> @address.each do |address|
>   @feeds << SimpleRSS.parse open(address.feed)
> end
>
> In your view
> @feeds.each do |fee|
> end
>
> Andrew T.
> http://ramblingsonrails.com
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewtimberlake
>
> "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Hi thanks for quick reply, i tried using << symbol before and it just
gave me a syntax error indicating theres somethings wrong around parse.
open
Nick H. (Guest)
on 2009-04-14 19:50
i just tried this with the built in rails rss parser and seems to work
fine. must be an issue with simple rss im guessing.
Rob B. (Guest)
On Apr 14, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Andrew T. wrote:
>> basically it displays the last parsed feed
> @feeds = []
> @address.each do |address|
>  @feeds << SimpleRSS.parse open(address.feed)
> end

Or more simply:

@feeds = @address.map {|address| SimpleRSS.parse(open(address.feed)) }

> "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark
> Twain

-Rob

Rob B.    http://agileconsultingllc.com
removed_email_address@domain.invalid