Forum: Ruby perl2ruby or inline::perl?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Paul A. (Guest)
on 2009-04-14 18:32
(Received via mailing list)
I would like to use the exiftool library for exif/iptc/xmp image
metadata
manipulation, but it's written in Perl. Since it seems somehow wrong and
definitely inefficient, I was wondering if there was any sort of
perl2ruby
convertor, or if there was an inline::perl module that could at least
take
the Perl and compile it to bytecode.

Paul
Eric H. (Guest)
on 2009-04-14 22:51
(Received via mailing list)
On Apr 14, 2009, at 07:32, Paul A. wrote:
> I would like to use the exiftool library for exif/iptc/xmp image
> metadata manipulation, but it's written in Perl. Since it seems
> somehow wrong and definitely inefficient, I was wondering if there
> was any sort of perl2ruby convertor, or if there was an inline::perl
> module that could at least take the Perl and compile it to bytecode.

None of these are suitable?

$ gem search -r exif

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

exifr (0.10.8)
extexif (1.0.1)
mini_exiftool (1.0.1)
multi_exiftool (0.0.1)
Paul A. (Guest)
on 2009-04-18 00:03
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Eric H. wrote:

>
> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
>
> exifr (0.10.8)
> extexif (1.0.1)

Both are exif-only. EXIF is the metadata the camera writes. It is
writable/modify-able, but mostly to add gps info, or correct dates.
IPTC and XMP have fields to add much richer metadata: caption,
description, keywords, etc.

> mini_exiftool (1.0.1)
> multi_exiftool (0.0.1)
>
Both are interfaces to the Perl based exiftool mentioned above.

Paul
Jan F. (Guest)
on 2009-04-20 16:51
(Received via mailing list)
Paul A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

>>
>> $ gem search -r exif
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> mini_exiftool (1.0.1)
>> multi_exiftool (0.0.1)
>>
> Both are interfaces to the Perl based exiftool mentioned above.
What do you want to do? I don't belive that executing Perl bytecode is
*much* faster than using the command-line interface of exiftool.

Regards,
Jan
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.