Forum: Ruby on Rails Gem install Rails issue

Musdev M. (Guest)
on 2009-04-14 07:02
Im trying to install rails gem on OSX 10.5.6, but when i use the gem
install rails command this message displays  WARNING:  Installing to
~/.gem since /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
    /usr/local/bin aren't both writable.
Successfully installed rails-2.3.2
1 gem installed
How can I get my gems to install to /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 or
/usr/local/bin  which both are set up in my environment variable path.

Also When trying to start my server for my rails project using
./script/server its displaying
Salafee:views_demo musdev$ ./script/server
=> Booting Mongrel
=> Rails 2.3.2 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Call with -d to detach
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server

Then when I go to http:/localhost:3000, and click on About your
application environment I see a message saying
 Welcome aboard
You’re riding Ruby on Rails!
About your application’s environment

We're sorry, but something went wrong.

We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it
shortly.

Thanks
Philip H. (Guest)
> Im trying to install rails gem on OSX 10.5.6, but when i use the gem
> install rails command this message displays  WARNING:  Installing to
> ~/.gem since /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
>    /usr/local/bin aren't both writable.
> Successfully installed rails-2.3.2
> 1 gem installed
> How can I get my gems to install to /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 or
> /usr/local/bin  which both are set up in my environment variable path.

sudo gem install ....

That will prompt you for your administrator password.  It might also
install it into /Library/Ruby/Gems (which should be in your ruby load
path as well by ddefault).

> Welcome aboard
> You’re riding Ruby on Rails!
> About your application’s environment
>
> We're sorry, but something went wrong.

Open up log/development.log and see what it says.

That initial page loads because public/index.html exists so mongrel
isn't even touching rails at that point.

-philip
Musdev M. (Guest)
on 2009-04-14 09:32
Philip H. wrote:
>> Im trying to install rails gem on OSX 10.5.6, but when i use the gem
>> install rails command this message displays  WARNING:  Installing to
>> ~/.gem since /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
>>    /usr/local/bin aren't both writable.
>> Successfully installed rails-2.3.2
>> 1 gem installed
>> How can I get my gems to install to /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 or
>> /usr/local/bin  which both are set up in my environment variable path.
>
> sudo gem install ....
>
> That will prompt you for your administrator password.  It might also
> install it into /Library/Ruby/Gems (which should be in your ruby load
> path as well by ddefault).
>

>> Welcome aboard
>> You�re riding Ruby on Rails!
>> About your application�s environment
>>
>> We're sorry, but something went wrong.
>
> Open up log/development.log and see what it says.
>
> That initial page loads because public/index.html exists so mongrel
> isn't even touching rails at that point.
>
> -philip

Thanks philip, Im not seeing the problem with installing gems anymore
after using the sudo command.
As far as  the development.log pertaining to the error I was seeing, the
log says  no such file to load -- sqlite3

So i went to install the sqlite gem and this is what It displayed in my
terminal

Salafee:views_demo musdev$ sudo gem install sqlite
Password:
ERROR:  Error installing sqlite:

/usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb install sqlite
checking for main() in -lsqlite... no
checking for sqlite.h... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
  --with-opt-dir
  --without-opt-dir
  --with-opt-include
  --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
  --with-opt-lib
  --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
  --with-make-prog
  --without-make-prog
  --srcdir=.
  --curdir
  --ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby
  --with-sqlite-dir
  --without-sqlite-dir
  --with-sqlite-include
  --without-sqlite-include=${sqlite-dir}/include
  --with-sqlite-lib
  --without-sqlite-lib=${sqlite-dir}/lib
  --with-sqlitelib
  --without-sqlitelib

Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite-2.0.1 for inspection.
Results logged to
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite-2.0.1/ext/gem_make.out

Sorry Im just new to this osx environment, and never seen these errors
before

Thanks
Rick (Guest)
try: sudo gem install sqlite3