Forum: GNU Radio USRP Basics questions

Somya A. (Guest)
Hi All, I was wondering about some basic functions of the USRP board:

1) To what carrier frequency does the USRP board (specifically AD9862)
up converts the base band signal and how can we change that?

2) At what transmission power does the USRP board transmits? and how
that can be controlled or regulated?

3) While using GRC, when we transmit the signal using the USRP block,
how can we check or see the transmitted signal? Is there any pin on the
USRP board which can be probed with the oscilloscope in order to view
the transmitted signal.

Any help is really appreciated,

Thanks & Regards,
Somya A.

      New Email names for you!
Get the Email name you've always wanted on the new @ymail and
@rocketmail.
Hurry before someone else does!
Josh B. (Guest)

> 3) While using GRC, when we transmit the signal using the USRP block, how can we check
or see the transmitted signal? Is there any pin on the USRP board which can be probed with
the oscilloscope in order to view the transmitted signal.

What daughterboards do you have?

Make sure that the amplitude of the signal going into usrp sink is  on
the order of 10,000 (since usrp range is +/- 32768)

-Josh
Somya A. (Guest)
HI Josh, we have basic TX , RX daughter board with us. also what is that
range you have mentioned into your reply is for?

Thanks & Regards,
Somya A.

> 3) While using GRC, when we transmit the signal using the USRP block, how
can we check or see the transmitted signal? Is there any pin on the USRP
board
which can be probed with the oscilloscope in order to view the
transmitted
signal.

What daughterboards do you have?

Make sure that the amplitude of the signal going into usrp sink is  on
the
order of 10,000 (since usrp range is +/- 32768)

-Josh

      Get your new Email address!
Grab the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted before someone else does!
Josh B. (Guest)
Somya A. wrote:
> HI Josh, we have basic TX , RX daughter board with us. also what is that range you have
mentioned into your reply is for?

Many times, users give the usrp sink numbers between +/- 1.0 and there
is no transmit power. Just to double check, you should be giving usrp
numbers around +/- 10e3 :-)

As far as how you can see the signal:

You can hook up an oscilloscope to one of the SMA connectors on the
basic TX (TXA or TXB)

Or, connect the basic RX to the basic TX with SMA to SMA connector, and
use a program like usrp_oscope.py or usrp_fft.py to look at the received
signal.

-Josh
yufeng wang (Guest)
Hello,

Does anyone has some discription about the two programs usrp_fft.py
and usrp_oscope.py? I try to search in the archive but didn't find any
basic discriptions. For example, I'm using digital-bert
benchmark_tx.py to transmit a sequence of 1's, which modulated by
BPSK; on the other computer, I use python usrp_fft.py -f 900M -T B -R
TX/RX -d 32 to display the output.

I've some signals at the center frequency, but I don't know whether it
is the signals at the transmitter side usrp or signals received in the
other usrp? Similar question to usrp_oscope.py as well, and I also
wonder what do the two lines mean, the red one and the blue one?

Thanks in advance. Your help is highly appreciated.
Somya A. (Guest)
Hi Josh, on the  SMA connectors I had connected my transmit receive
antennas. I wanted to know if while transmitting and receiving signals
using USRP sink and source blocks, can I silmatenously probe any pin on
the transmit/receive daughter board inorder to see the signal out and in
to USRP. Also I was trying to make an OFDM system by implementing the
following blocks:

Random Source:---->OFDM Modulator:------------>USRP Sink
[Minimum=0;                [ Modulation:8
QAM               [Unit
Number=0
Maximum=2;                 FFT
Length=512
Interpolation=400
Num Samples=1M        Occupied tones: 200
Frequency=100M
Repeat=Yes]                 CP Length:
128                    Gain=0
                                      Pad
for USRP=Yes
Side=Side A]

Payload length=0]

After running this, when I probed pin tx0 - tx7 on the daughter board, I
was able to see some waveforms on the scope. But when I build the
receiver system:

USRP Source:----------->OFDM DeModulator:------------>FFT Sink

[Unit Number=0                [ Modulation:8
QAM

Decimation=400                FFT
Length=512

 Frequency=100M              Occupied tones: 200

Gain=0                                CP Length:
128

Side=Side

RX Antenna=RXA ]

I am get the following warning:
"** (python:4085): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1030
       Timeout "
and now if i probe the same pins on the daughter board, I am not able to
see any waveforms. Can you please help me to figure out this behaviour.

Thanks & Rgards,
Somya A.

> HI Josh, we have basic TX , RX daughter board with us. also what is that
range you have mentioned into your reply is for?

Many times, users give the usrp sink numbers between +/- 1.0 and there
is no
transmit power. Just to double check, you should be giving usrp numbers
around
+/- 10e3 :-)

As far as how you can see the signal:

You can hook up an oscilloscope to one of the SMA connectors on the
basic TX
(TXA or TXB)

Or, connect the basic RX to the basic TX with SMA to SMA connector, and
use a
program like usrp_oscope.py or usrp_fft.py to look at the received
signal.

-Josh

      Get your new Email address!
Grab the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted before someone else does!
Josh B. (Guest)
You want to probe the SMA connectors. The pins tx0-tx7 are digital
control lines. If you see any signal on the control lines, it is
probably very weak leakage from the DAC.

Somya A. wrote:
> After running this, when I probed pin tx0 - tx7 on the daughter board, I was able to see
some waveforms on the scope. But when I build the receiver system:

> Side=Side A
>
> RX Antenna=RXA ]
>
> I am get the following warning:
> "** (python:4085): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1030
>        Timeout "

You can ignore this, its just wxpython molesting your printers.