Forum: Ruby A trivial formatting question.

Robert S. (Guest)
Hi all from a 30-year veteran, but rather a Ruby noob,

I've been looking around for a Ruby IDE, and came across the soon to
be released RubyMine.  It looks to be a promising program, with a very
nice code reformatter.

One thing irks me:  It doesn't indent the clauses of a case statement,
but prints the 'when's flush with the 'case' and 'end' keywords.  This
complicates discerning the scope of the statement quickly.  I went
back to 'Programming Ruby' and found the same formatting, which I find
somewhat barbaric.

My question is, how many of you indent when clauses?  Does it matter
to you at all?  Is there a package that prettifies Ruby  code, even if
not in an editor,  and is configurable?

Thanks,

Bob Schaaf
Adam G. (Guest)
on 2009-04-10 02:34
Robert S. wrote:
> Hi all from a 30-year veteran, but rather a Ruby noob,
>
> I've been looking around for a Ruby IDE, and came across the soon to
> be released RubyMine.  It looks to be a promising program, with a very
> nice code reformatter.
>
> One thing irks me:  It doesn't indent the clauses of a case statement,
> but prints the 'when's flush with the 'case' and 'end' keywords.  This
> complicates discerning the scope of the statement quickly.  I went
> back to 'Programming Ruby' and found the same formatting, which I find
> somewhat barbaric.
>
> My question is, how many of you indent when clauses?  Does it matter
> to you at all?  Is there a package that prettifies Ruby  code, even if
> not in an editor,  and is configurable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Schaaf
always leave 'when' indented to the same level as the case statement,
much as I would indent elsif to the same level as the if statement. So
my case/whens look like this:

case var
when 'val'
  some code
when 'otherval'
  different code
when 'foo'
  bar
else
  oh no!
end

(obviously this is not quite valid ruby code, but you get the idea)

As for an editor for your use, it depends on your platform, of course.
Linux? OS X? Windows?
RichardOnRails (Guest)
On Apr 9, 5:50 pm, Robert S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> somewhat barbaric.
>
> My question is, how many of you indent when clauses?  Does it matter
> to you at all?  Is there a package that prettifies Ruby  code, even if
> not in an editor,  and is configurable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Schaaf

something = 2
SciTE = case something
  when 1; 1
  when 2; 4
  else 0
  end
puts SciTE # => 4   # Had to manually ex-dent this line; indents above
were automatic.

I love SciTE because it also executes in a separate pane by simply
pressing F5.  Automatically saves current code before compiling and
executing.  It's color coding is excellent IMHO.

Good luck,
Richard