Forum: Ruby on Rails cucumber + authlogic trouble

Scott N. (Guest)
i am trying to learn testing for rails apps.
i followed the two authlogic tutorials (basic authlogic setup and
password reset) and now i am trying to add some integration tests with
cucumber (i know you are supposed to do the tests 1st, but i am just
trying to figure out how things work).

i found this app
http://github.com/hectoregm/rails-templates/tree/master
with a bunch of cucumber/webrat tests setup for authlogic so i started
applying them to my app

the app works fine when i do everything in the web browser, but i can
not figure out why it doesn't work with the tests. when it creates a
user account it should go to the show account page and flash "account
registered", but instead it is creating a user in the database (good),
going to my home page(bad), and the flash is "logout
successful"(bad).

anyone have any guidance on what might be going wrong or how to
troubleshoot this?

# from my feature file
Scenario: Allow an anonymous user to create account
  Given "hector" is an anonymous user
  When I go to the registration form
  And I fill in "login" with "hector"
  And I fill in "email" with "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"
  And I fill in "password" with "secret"
  And I fill in "password confirmation" with "secret"
  And I press "Register"
  Then I should have a successful registration

# the relevent steps
Given /"(.*)" is an anonymous user/ do |name| # registration_steps.rb
  visit '/logout'
  visit '/'
end

When /^I go to (.+)$/ do |page_name| # webrat_steps.rb
  visit path_to(page_name)
end

when /the registration form/ # paths.rb
  new_account_path

When /^I fill in "([^\"]*)" with "([^\"]*)"$/ do |field, value| #
webrat_steps.rb
  fill_in(field, :with => value)
end

When /^I press "([^\"]*)"$/ do |button| # webrat_steps.rb
  click_button(button)
end

Then /^I should have a successful registration$/ do #
registration_steps.rb
  When 'I should see "Account registered!"'
end

Then /^I should see "([^\"]*)"$/ do |text| # webrat_steps.rb
  response.should contain(text)
end

# output from running "cucumber features"
Feature: Registration
  As a anonymous user
  I want be able to register
  So that can be productive and be cool

  Scenario: Allow an anonymous user to create account   # features/
registration.feature:13
    Given "hector" is an anonymous user                 # features/
step_definitions/registration_steps.rb:1
    When I go to the registration form                  # features/
step_definitions/webrat_steps.rb:10
    And I fill in "login" with "hector"                 # features/
step_definitions/webrat_steps.rb:22
    And I fill in "email" with "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"     #
features/
step_definitions/webrat_steps.rb:22
    And I fill in "password" with "secret"              # features/
step_definitions/webrat_steps.rb:22
    And I fill in "password confirmation" with "secret" # features/
step_definitions/webrat_steps.rb:22
    And I press "Register"                              # features/
step_definitions/webrat_steps.rb:14
    Then I should have a successful registration        # features/
step_definitions/registration_steps.rb:54
      expected the following element's content to include "Account
registered!":
      home: index
      Source code | Setup tutorial | Password reset tutorialOpenID
tutorial | Authlogic Repo | Authlogic Doc
      Authlogic Example App
      1 user currently logged inRegister |
        Log In |
        Forgot password
      Logout successful!
      Home Page
       (Spec::Expectations::ExpectationNotMetError)
      ./features/step_definitions/webrat_steps.rb:94:in `/^I should
see "([^\"]*)"$/'
      features/registration.feature:21:in `Then I should have a
successful registration'

1 scenario
1 failed step
7 passed steps
James B. (Guest)
on 2009-04-09 20:06
Scott Nj wrote:
> i am trying to learn testing for rails apps.
> i followed the two authlogic tutorials (basic authlogic setup and
> password reset) and now i am trying to add some integration tests with
> cucumber (i know you are supposed to do the tests 1st, but i am just
> trying to figure out how things work).

I cannot say what is causing your problem from the info given, but I
suspect that you have a problem with a controller somewhere; probably in
the authentication setup in application.rb.

You likely will get better responses, or at least more focused ones, by
posting to either the respec list/forums:

RSpec

removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/32

or on the authlogic forums.