Forum: Ruby filelocking

Derek S. (Guest)
on 2009-04-09 05:07
Hi All,

I have posted the same code b4, but could not find my original post,
however this is a different question.  I am a newb, so here I go.
Thank you!

This is my error:

$ ruby test.rb
test.rb:46: undefined method `flock' for main:Object (NoMethodError)
        from test.rb:45:in `open'
        from test.rb:45
        from test.rb:42:in `each'
        from test.rb:42

Here is my code:

#!/usr/bin/ruby -w

require 'ftools'
array1 = Dir.glob("*.log")
if ( array1.length >= 1 )
    array1.each { |file|
        File.copy(file, "#{file}.orig")
        if (File.size?(file) > FSIZE)
            File.open(file, 'r+') do |f|
                flock(f, File::LOCK_SH) do |f|
                f << "i got a lock"
    }
else
    raise StandardError, "Array 'array1' has no values, logs will not be
rolled!"
end
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
Derek S. wrote:
> test.rb:46: undefined method `flock' for main:Object (NoMethodError)
>             File.open(file, 'r+') do |f|
>                 flock(f, File::LOCK_SH) do |f|

That should be File.flock.
Derek S. (Guest)
on 2009-04-09 05:27
Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Derek S. wrote:
>> test.rb:46: undefined method `flock' for main:Object (NoMethodError)
>>             File.open(file, 'r+') do |f|
>>                 flock(f, File::LOCK_SH) do |f|
>
> That should be File.flock.

OK tried that...thx!, but now I am seeing

__STDERR__

test.rb:46: undefined method `flock' for File:Class (NoMethodError)
        from test.rb:45:in `open'
        from test.rb:45
        from test.rb:42:in `each'
        from test.rb:42

__CODE__

if ( array1.length >= 1 )
    array1.each { |file|
        File.copy(file, "#{file}.orig")
        if (File.size?(file) > FSIZE)
            File.open(file, 'r+') do |f|
                File.flock(f, File::LOCK_SH) do |f|
                f << "i got a lock"
    }
Derek S. wrote:
> Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>> Derek S. wrote:
>>> test.rb:46: undefined method `flock' for main:Object (NoMethodError)
>>>             File.open(file, 'r+') do |f|
>>>                 flock(f, File::LOCK_SH) do |f|
>> That should be File.flock.

sorry, my fault... should be

  f.flock(File::LOCK_SH) do

Take a look at `ri flock` for details.
Michael M. (Guest)
>         from test.rb:45
>         from test.rb:42:in `each'
>         from test.rb:42

File#flock => f.flock

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.