Forum: Ruby ruby compactor/consolidator?

Kyle S. (Guest)
Is there a built-in or common way to consolidate a ruby project into one
file?

I've got a project of 8-10 files (one class per file & a script that
use the classes).  For ease of distributing it to my servers, I've got
a secondary script that consolidates all of them to one big ugly
script.

While the script to consolidate the project does does work well enough
for now, I can easily see it may not in the future.

Thanks
--Kyle
James C. (Guest)
2009/4/8 Kyle S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> Is there a built-in or common way to consolidate a ruby project into one
> file?

cat `find . -name '*.rb'` > all.rb
James C. (Guest)
2009/4/8 James C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> 2009/4/8 Kyle S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
>
> > Is there a built-in or common way to consolidate a ruby project into one
> > file?
>

> cat `find . -name '*.rb'` > all.rb

My apologies, that was kind of a silly answer. Best idea is to package
it as
a gem. I use hoe for this, for which there is an excellent tutorial:

http://nubyonrails.com/articles/tutorial-publishin...
Kyle S. (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:28 AM, James C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> cat `find . -name '*.rb'` > all.rb

Did you get that from the new O'Reilly book, "Mastering cat"? ;)
http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Mastering-Cat/

For some reason I never even _thought_ of doing it as a gem.  Although
I'm not sure gem works by default on CentOS... I'll have to see.

Thanks
--Kyle
James C. (Guest)
2009/4/8 Kyle S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:28 AM, James C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
> >

> > cat `find . -name '*.rb'` > all.rb
> >

> Did you get that from the new O'Reilly book, "Mastering cat"? ;)
> http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Mastering-Cat/

Hey, it's worth knowing your cat... although I really wish someone
actually
would publish that book, I'd love to see how much mileage they could eke
out
of it.

I slightly more robust thing to do would be to list all the files in a
config file e.g. Manifest.txt, since order can be important, then write
build take in your Rakefile:

task :build do
  files = File.read('Manifest.txt').strip.split(/\s+/)
  code = files.map(&File.method(:read)) * "\n\n"
  File.open('build.rb', 'wb') { |f| f.write(code) }
end
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
Kyle S. wrote:
> Is there a built-in or common way to consolidate a ruby project into one file?

Might be helpful:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/darb

(Doesn't package binary extensions, though, only ruby source.)