Forum: Ruby on Rails What does the ' %s ' mean ?

Tom H. (Guest)
on 2009-04-08 18:06
Hi there,

can anyone explain to me how I have to understand the:

  %s

in the following code line:

  yield :error, "There was a problem resending your activation code,
please try again or %s.", "resend_activation_path"

Whant does it stand for, what does it mean, what does it do?

Thanks!
Tom
Phlip (Guest)
Tom Ha wrote:

>   yield :error, "There was a problem resending your activation code,
> please try again or %s.", "resend_activation_path"
>
> Whant does it stand for, what does it mean, what does it do?

Google for "printf", alone.
Daniel B. (Guest)
2009/4/9 Tom Ha <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> please try again or %s.", "resend_activation_path"
>
> Whant does it stand for, what does it mean, what does it do?

I'm not familiar with that particular bit of code, but I think this
relates
to the "%" method for String classes in ruby.  See
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/String.html#M000785 .

This is ruby's way of doing format control letters and modifiers.  If
you've
programmed in C etc or something like awk, you often use these in print
statements (eg printf) to format strings and numbers etc.
Whenever I have to look these up I check out the gawk reference - here's
one
online:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/gawk.html#...

Simple example in ruby: