Forum: IronRuby Problem checking out iron ruby source

Antti Karanta (Guest)
Hi!

   I tried to check out iron ruby sources following the instructions in
http://www.ironruby.net/Download but bumped into problems:

nak@NW32 /cygdrive/c/programs/dotnet/ironruby
$ git clone git://github.com/ironruby/ironruby.git
Initialized empty Git repository in
/cygdrive/c/programs/dotnet/ironruby/ironruby/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 23971, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (23971/23971), 33.40 MiB | 242 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (7698/7698), done.
error: refs/tags/v0.3.0 does not point to a valid object!
error: refs/remotes/origin/master does not point to a valid object!
error: Trying to write ref refs/heads/master with nonexistant object
6682b6d658ef11ff52293
b238c681398cc0198f9
fatal: Cannot update the ref 'HEAD'.

nak@NW32 /cygdrive/c/programs/dotnet/ironruby
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 NW32 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34 i686 Cygwin

nak@NW32 /cygdrive/c/programs/dotnet/ironruby
$ git --version
git version 1.6.1.2

   I'm a complete git newbie so I have no idea what's wrong. Any ideas?

         ::Antti::
Shri B. (Guest)
No idea. Can you clone any other GIT repo? Did you Google for it?

Btw, I found that the GIT tutorial at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gi... is very
helpful for ramping up on GIT concepts.

Thanks,
Shri
Antti Karanta (Guest)
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 21:45:21 +0300, Shri B.
<Shri.Borde-0li6OtcxBFHby3iVrkZq2A@xxx> wrote:

> No idea. Can you clone any other GIT repo?

   No, iron ruby is my first contact with git. Now that you mentioned it
tried to clone a random project from github and it gives the same error,
so the problem is probably with my git installation.

> Did you Google for it?

   Yes, but didn't find anything that would solve the problem. There
were
some reports of the same problem on different projects, but no solution.

> Btw, I found that the GIT tutorial at
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gi... is very
> helpful for ramping up on GIT concepts.

   Thanks. I'll take a look once I get the basic cloning working...

          ::Antti::
Jim D. (Guest)
If the cygwin installation keeps messing up, try the Msysgit one at
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit. If you select the second option when
it asks you where to run Git from, you can use it from CMD.

JD
Antti Karanta (Guest)
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 02:25:42 +0300, Jim D.

> If the cygwin installation keeps messing up, try the Msysgit one at
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit. If you select the second option when
> it asks you where to run Git from, you can use it from CMD.

   Thanks for the tip. I actually already tried it, but it gives the
same
error. :/ There is something very strange about this: two different
versions of git (cygwin and mingw) both fail on all the git projects I
tried to clone (iron ruby, jruby and some random one I picked from
github). This seems to indicate there is something wrong with my
environment, but I can't think what it could be - I'm running a quite
regular win xp sp 2. I also tried disabling windows defender and
symantec
firewall (as I found someone suggesting this in a similar issue I found
when googling) but that made no difference.

       ::Antti::