Forum: Ruby on Rails How Select just some columns ?

Ale D. (Guest)

if I do:
user = User.find :all
render :xml => user.to_xml

I obviously get the user records whith ALL the columns (name, surname,
tel, email, ...)

How I can get just the column email (for example) ?

ps.

I wan't to use User.find_by_sql('Select mail from users')

thanks
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Apr 7, 10:54 am, Ale Ds <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I do:
> user = User.find :all
> render :xml => user.to_xml
>
> I obviously get the user records whith ALL the columns (name, surname,
> tel, email, ...)

depending on what you're doing, either use the :select option on the
call to find or the :only/:except options on to_xml may be what you
want.

Fred
Ale D. (Guest)
on 2009-04-07 14:33
':select' is perfect:

users = User.find(:all, :select = 'email')

I overlooked it in RoR api.
Thank you !

Alessandro