Forum: RSpec debuggin cucmber script in ruby

Anil G. (Guest)
on 2009-04-06 16:11
basically to debug a ruby script we use:
ruby -rspecs -rdebug file.rb
which would debug ruby script line by line.

Is there any such debuging feauture in cucumber.
Ben M. (Guest)
Anil G. wrote:
> basically to debug a ruby script we use:
> ruby -rspecs -rdebug file.rb
> which would debug ruby script line by line.
>
> Is there any such debuging feauture in cucumber.

I just require 'ruby-debug' and set a debugger statement where I want to
stop it.  When you run cucumber it will pop into rdg where you set the
breakpoint.
If that doesn't make sense, this post has more detail:

http://technicalpickles.com/posts/debugging-cucumber

-Ben
Anil G. (Guest)
on 2009-04-06 19:41
hi,
Thanks for the information,
When i run cucumber testfile.feature, I was able to halt execution at
breakpoint, but when i type 'n'. it is getting in to
/lib/cucumber/ast/step_invocation.rb:33 and some other lib files of
cucumber.

I just want to debug line by line of the script, instead of getting in
to cucumber files.

please help me in this regard
Ben M. (Guest)
Anil G. wrote:
> please help me in this regard

Sorry, but I don't know of anything that will automatically allow you to
skip over framework code.. Although, that would be very cool.  My best
suggestion would be to set multiple breakpoints and hit "c" to continue
to the next one so you can skip through all of Cucumber's code.

-Ben
Zach D. (Guest)
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Ben M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>> cucumber files.
>>
>> please help me in this regard
>>

> Sorry, but I don't know of anything that will automatically allow you to
> skip over framework code.. Although, that would be very cool.  My best
> suggestion would be to set multiple breakpoints and hit "c" to continue to
> the next one so you can skip through all of Cucumber's code.

I will sometimes set a global variable to help me flag when to debug,
if the code in question gets executed multiple times. e.g.

   $c = true if my_condition_is_met

And then...

  debugger if $c

> -Ben

Zach D.
http://www.continuousthinking.com
http://www.mutuallyhuman.com
aidy lewis (Guest)
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Ben M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

>  >   My best
>  > suggestion would be to set multiple breakpoints and hit "c" to continue to
>  > the next one so you can skip through all of Cucumber's code.

> I will sometimes set a global variable to help me flag when to debug,
>  if the code in question gets executed multiple times. e.g.
>
>    $c = true if my_condition_is_met
>
>  And then...
>
>   debugger if $c

Some useful tips, but I feel the ruby-debug tutorials that exist are
lacking. Would it be fitting for me to add a Cucumber and ruby-debug
page on the Wiki?

Aidy
Aslak H. (Guest)
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 4:30 PM, aidy lewis

> >    $c = true if my_condition_is_met
> >
> >  And then...
> >
> >   debugger if $c
>
> Some useful tips, but I feel the ruby-debug tutorials that exist are
> lacking. Would it be fitting for me to add a Cucumber and ruby-debug
> page on the Wiki?

A page titled ruby-debug would be great Aidy!

Aslak
Mark W. (Guest)
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 7:30 AM, aidy lewis
wrote:

> Some useful tips, but I feel the ruby-debug tutorials that exist are
> lacking. Would it be fitting for me to add a Cucumber and ruby-debug
> page on the Wiki?

With webrat, the following is pretty useful:

When /^I view the response$/ do
  save_and_open_page
end
Ben M. (Guest)
On Apr 7, 2009, at 8:30 AM, aidy lewis wrote:

> Aidy
That would be great!  Thanks for offering.

-Ben
Scott T. (Guest)
On Apr 7, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Ben M. wrote:

>> Some useful tips, but I feel the ruby-debug tutorials that exist are
>> lacking. Would it be fitting for me to add a Cucumber and ruby-debug
>> page on the Wiki?
>>
>> Aidy
>

> That would be great!  Thanks for offering.

I've been meaning to do a ruby-debug screencast for quite some time.

Although it won't be specific to cucumber, I'll post it on the wiki
when I get around to it.

Scott
Matt W. (Guest)
On 7 Apr 2009, at 17:23, Scott T. wrote:

>> That would be great!  Thanks for offering.
>
> I've been meaning to do a ruby-debug screencast for quite some time.
>
> Although it won't be specific to cucumber, I'll post it on the wiki
> when I get around to it.
>
> Scott

This is really good. It's short and sweet, and makes you realise
there's really not much to it at all:
http://railscasts.com/episodes/54-debugging-with-ruby-debug

Matt W.
http://blog.mattwynne.net