Forum: Ruby Help! Window user needs help installing ruby 1.9 on mac

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Musdev M. (Guest)
on 2009-04-04 09:55
I just purchased a new macbook pro and would like to install ruby 1.9,
but I'm having trouble installing, can someone please provide the
easiest steps to install ruby 1.9 please?

Thanks
Ben L. (Guest)
on 2009-04-04 15:19
(Received via mailing list)
Install macports. Then:
sudo port install ruby19

Should do it.

Ben
Musdev M. (Guest)
on 2009-04-04 19:31
Ben L. wrote:
> Install macports. Then:
> sudo port install ruby19
>
> Should do it.
>
> Ben

Thanks Ben, that helped a great deal, 1.9 is installed successfully on
my machine.

Kindest Regards
Ben L. (Guest)
on 2009-04-04 20:24
(Received via mailing list)
Great. You'll find macports pretty handy for installing many things.
Musdev M. (Guest)
on 2009-04-04 20:32
Ben L. wrote:
> Great. You'll find macports pretty handy for installing many things.

Cool. One thing I'm noticing is when I type /usr/bin/ruby -v it is
giving me version 1.8, when I'm compiling my code how do I know which
version of ruby I'm using? 1.9 is installed in my /opt/local/lib
directory.
Should I uninstall 1.8?

Thanks
Ben L. (Guest)
on 2009-04-04 20:52
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Zayd C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>
> Cool. One thing I'm noticing is when I type /usr/bin/ruby -v it is
> giving me version 1.8, when I'm compiling my code how do I know which
> version of ruby I'm using? 1.9 is installed in my /opt/local/lib
> directory.
> Should I uninstall 1.8?
>

Take a look at this article:

http://www.metaskills.net/2009/1/20/multiruby-the-...

Although it is a little hackish I'm not sure of any easier method.

Ben
Dom (Guest)
on 2009-04-04 21:19
(Received via mailing list)
On Apr 4, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Zayd C. wrote:

> Ben L. wrote:
>> Great. You'll find macports pretty handy for installing many things.
>
> Cool. One thing I'm noticing is when I type /usr/bin/ruby -v it is
> giving me version 1.8, when I'm compiling my code how do I know which
> version of ruby I'm using? 1.9 is installed in my /opt/local/lib

at the prompt, type which ruby <return> and that will give you the
path to the executable

also, you might want to check your PATH env variable to make sure it's
finding the right one first, although I think OSX has a mechanism for
switching that's kind of a half baked version of the Linux
alternatives mechanism for switching between various versions of
"stuff". Although, in fairness this seems to work quite well for java
on the mac. Anyway, check your path with either echo $PATH of env
commands and see what it says. You may have to force it by modifying
the path in .bash_profile in your home directory (assuming bash) or
some other file that's modifying your path variable. Hope that helps.
Hassan S. (Guest)
on 2009-04-04 21:36
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Ben L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> Although it is a little hackish I'm not sure of any easier method.

I always install alternative versions of any software into different
directories, e.g.
 /usr/local/ruby-1.8.6
 /usr/local/ruby-1.8.7
 /usr/local/ruby-1.9.1

set the default path in your .bashrc.local or equiv, and then use a
file like, say "r187"
------------
export RUBY_HOME=/usr/local/ruby-1.8.7
export PATH=$RUBY_HOME/bin:$PATH
------------
for each version. Then in any window you can type
prompt> . r187

and set the version for that particular shell.

FWIW,
Musdev M. (Guest)
on 2009-04-07 00:53
Dom wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Zayd C. wrote:
>
>> Ben L. wrote:
>>> Great. You'll find macports pretty handy for installing many things.
>>
>> Cool. One thing I'm noticing is when I type /usr/bin/ruby -v it is
>> giving me version 1.8, when I'm compiling my code how do I know which
>> version of ruby I'm using? 1.9 is installed in my /opt/local/lib
>
> at the prompt, type which ruby <return> and that will give you the
> path to the executable
>
> also, you might want to check your PATH env variable to make sure it's
> finding the right one first, although I think OSX has a mechanism for
> switching that's kind of a half baked version of the Linux
> alternatives mechanism for switching between various versions of
> "stuff". Although, in fairness this seems to work quite well for java
> on the mac. Anyway, check your path with either echo $PATH of env
> commands and see what it says. You may have to force it by modifying
> the path in .bash_profile in your home directory (assuming bash) or
> some other file that's modifying your path variable. Hope that helps.

Sorry but I cannot find the file to modify my path env variable.

Thanks
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.