Forum: RSpec Rspec 1.2.2 unpacking

Peer A. (Guest)
Hello all,

I am trying to unpack rspec 1.2.2 and rspec-rails 1.2.2 into my
application.
I have them included in the test.rb environment file with config.gem
options
as described on the Rspec github site.

I can unpack rspec-rails without issue, but when I try to do rspec
nothing
happens.  I mean that literally, it does nothing.  No warnings, no
errors
and the gem is not in the vendor/gems folder.  I tried running --trace
and
it was no help.

$ rake gems RAILS_ENV=test
 - [R] rspec >= 1.2.0
 - [F] rspec-rails >= 1.2.0
    - [R] rspec = 1.2.2
    - [I] rack >= 0.4.0
$ sudo rake gems:unpack GEM=rspec RAILS_ENV=test --trace
** Invoke gems:unpack (first_time)
** Invoke gems:install (first_time)
** Invoke gems:base (first_time)
** Execute gems:base
** Invoke environment (first_time)
** Execute environment
** Execute gems:install
** Execute gems:unpack
$ ls -l vendor/gems/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  16 pallan  admin  544  2 Apr 13:05 rspec-rails-1.2.2

Does anyone have any idea how to debug this?

Peer
David C. (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Peer A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> ** Invoke environment (first_time)
> ** Execute environment
> ** Execute gems:install
> ** Execute gems:unpack
> $ ls -l vendor/gems/
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x  16 pallan  admin  544  2 Apr 13:05 rspec-rails-1.2.2
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to debug this?

You probably have an old version of lib/tasks/rspec.rake, which
requires 'spec' (the new one only does so when you try to run a spec
task). Try removing that first, then unpack, then "script/generate
rspec" to regenerate the new rake file.

Cheers,
David
Peer A. (Guest)
Thanks for the advice.  I had run the updated generator, but it must
have
been reverted at some point.  I did it again and followed your
instructions,
but I am experiencing the same problem.  I suspect that some of the
custom
code we have that is using rspec is getting in the way.  If I can find
out
what it is I will let you know. Thanks!

Peer A.
Development Team Lead, e-Business

CanadaDrugs.com
24  Terracon Place
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
R2J  4G7

Phone: (204) 654-7951
Fax:  (204) 654-7910
www.canadadrugs.com
David C. (Guest)
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Peer A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Thanks for the advice.  I had run the updated generator, but it must have
> been reverted at some point.  I did it again and followed your instructions,
> but I am experiencing the same problem.  I suspect that some of the custom
> code we have that is using rspec is getting in the way.  If I can find out
> what it is I will let you know. Thanks!

OK - just a hint - look for any rake files or files that they require
that require 'spec' in them.