Forum: Ruby Ritex 0.2 released: Latex -> MathML converter

William M. (Guest)
It's been almost four years since the last release, but I dusted off
the ol' codebase, fixed some bugs, added some features, and voila,
a new release.

Ritex turns "WebTeX" (essentially LaTeX math) into MathML. You can see
it in action here: http://all-thing.net/label/stats/

Ritex features macro support, a bevy of heavy unit tests, and a
pure-Ruby implementation.

Interesting bits of the 0.2. release:
- array options finally supported
- better unary minus detection
- various tweaks and bugfixes

"gem install ritex", or visit the homepage: http://masanjin.net/ritex/.
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
William M. wrote:
> It's been almost four years since the last release, but I dusted off
> the ol' codebase, fixed some bugs, added some features, and voila,
> a new release.
>
> Ritex turns "WebTeX" (essentially LaTeX math) into MathML. You can see
> it in action here: http://all-thing.net/label/stats/

Is it supposed to look like this?

   dd2E[]+2=02E[]+2=0=E[]
William M. (Guest)
Reformatted excerpts from Joel VanderWerf's message of 2009-04-02:
> Is it supposed to look like this?
>
>    dd2E[]+2=02E[]+2=0=E[]

Nope. The magic of MathML is that, 10 years later, it's still a fight to
get browsers to display it.

Are you using Safari? Webkit doesn't have Mathml support.

Can you see the examples on http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/pmathml2.xml?
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
William M. wrote:

> Can you see the examples on http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/pmathml2.xml?

Ah, I was using Konqueror (so probably same as Safari or any
Webkit-based browser).

In firefox, the equations do display nicely.
William M. (Guest)
Reformatted excerpts from Joel VanderWerf's message of 2009-04-02:
> Ah, I was using Konqueror (so probably same as Safari or any
> Webkit-based browser).
>
> In firefox, the equations do display nicely.

This is presumably why sites like Wikipedia, which actually care about
disseminating information and are not just futile platforms for shouting
into the void in a frantic attempt to mask the horrifying lack of
meaning to a lonely existence, generate images instead of using MathML.
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
William M. wrote:
> Reformatted excerpts from Joel VanderWerf's message of 2009-04-02:
>> Ah, I was using Konqueror (so probably same as Safari or any
>> Webkit-based browser).
>>
>> In firefox, the equations do display nicely.
>
> This is presumably why sites like Wikipedia, which actually care about
> disseminating information and are not just futile platforms for shouting
> into the void in a frantic attempt to mask the horrifying lack of
> meaning to a lonely existence, generate images instead of using MathML.

Webby does this too.